Sunday, June 29, 2008

Oprah Was Right

This weekend was a winner. Not only did I have Friday off and get to see Eric Hutchinson but I also saw the Indigo Girls at the Woodland Park Zoo. Who knew the zoo doubled as a concert venue? The temperature was somewhere in the 90's (it had to be) and was a little muggy so we didn't look pretty with all of the sweating going on, but we sure had a fantastic time!

The show started at 6:00, doors opened at 5:00 and we got in line at 4:00. We were close to the front of the line and were able to sit on little ledge halfway under some trees. I was getting some GREAT people-watching in when I felt a giant rain drop on my foot. No, wait....bird poop. 

A bird pooped on my foot.

I started freaking out and Lindsay started laughing uncontrollably. She refused to help me while frantically digging in her purse. You might assume she was digging for a napkin/tissue/piece of paper/ANYTHING to wipe the poop off of my foot. No, no, she was digging for her camera.
I ended up having to ask the lady next to me for a napkin while Lindsay continued to be of absolutely zero help. 

We made our way inside and, despite being near the front of our line, walked into a field FULL of people. Apparently there were two other entrances that were closer to the "meadow". The birds at those entrances probably didn't crap on people either. Noted for next time. We picked a spot and settled in for another hour of people watching.
You can't really tell from the picture below, but I was melting. I was having flashbacks to every trip to Cedar Point I've ever taken. This was one of those times I wished I wasn't opposed to dressing immodestly.
I half-way slept through/entered a heat induced coma during the opening act and was really ready to get the party started when the Indigo Girls came out. Lindsay and I have been debating for several weeks about whether or not my fave Brandi Carlile would be there. A lot of the signs pointed to yes - Seattle is her hometown, she's back from her overseas tour, she's playing other shows with the Indigo Girls, etc. But since there was a different opening act we just weren't sure. So as we were getting in the car to head to the zoo Linds suggested we "secret" it. You know, like the book "The Secret" that was made wildly popular by Oprah? I guess you just visualize something happening and it does. I don't know if I really believe that, but I love Brandi Carlile so I was willing to try anything. 

Well, chalk one up to Oprah my friends because a few songs into the set I heard the words We're going to bring out our friend Brandi Carlile and I wet my pants right there on the blanket in the meadow.  Ok, not really, but I screamed and clapped and was so excited!
Brandi ended up being on stage with them more than half of the time and I loved every minute of it (she's the one on the left). I found myself wishing the Indigo Girls would head off stage and leave Brandi and the boys out there to do their thing. But I guess I'll have to wait for the two shows coming up in August. 

Minus the part where I got pooped on, it was a perfect day.

9 comments:

Annie said...

your shorts are cute...

Jill Clark said...

I am so jealous, I need to see her in concert. You two converted me. That picture looking down on you is SOOOO cute! You look so good. I am jealous of all your fun times together.

Sarah said...

You look so skinny! All your work at the gym is paying off.

stephanielynn said...

Thanks guys! I think it was just a good angle, but we can pretend, right? :)

Oh, and Jill...come to Portland with us in August!!

Julie said...

Gross about the bird poo! (I don't believe in "the secret"...Shanna showed me the video a year or so ago, BUT I couldn't help thinking about it the night I met Andy Williams!)

Anonymous said...

bird poop was nasty! :) you are lookin good girl. love the new pic of max on the side. :)

Jill Clark said...

Portland, I would love that! What is there?

stephanielynn said...

Brandi is in Portland on August 22nd.

Jill Clark said...

I would totally love that if I wasn't going to St. Louis/Michigan that weekend!