Saturday, June 21, 2008

It's Cool. I'm Ok.

Last night after getting to the gym I went to hop on the elliptical for my warm up. I was in a hurry because I got there late and my hands were full with keys, gym pass and iPod and I was trying to untangle my headphones. I was still working out the headphone mess when I stepped on the machine, but the step was up high (think of a pedal on a bike) and it swung down as I stepped on it. Unfortunately, I had no hands free to steady myself and quickly lost my balance. 

Just picture me with one foot on the elliptical, the other foot in the air somewhere, the step rocking back and forth while my arms flailed wildly as I tried not to drop anything but also to tried to find a way to catch myself. Oh, and then add me saying something like, "Whoa. Whoa. Whoa." Pretty awesome, right?

Luckily I didn't actually fall. But the guy next to me chuckled and asked if I was Ok. I said I was and then casually looked around to see who else had noticed. It appeared that no one had but, let's be honest, gyms have a lot of mirrors and even though I was on the back row there were plenty of people checking themselves out in those mirrors that couldn't have missed the raucous I caused. 

I've always wondered how people fall off of machines at the gym. Now I know.

2 comments:

Matthew said...

A couple of months ago this asian girl got on the treadmill in front of me and for some reason she started it at top speed. She was trying to stop the machine as she could barely keep up with the speed and then she went down and slid off the end of the treadmill. That was quite possibly the funniest thing I had ever seen. She got up and left the area and I then busted up laughing as I continued to run.

Be careful Steph!

stephanielynn said...

I'm glad you weren't running next to me during my mishap:)