Friday, April 11, 2008

Seattle Observations

++On my first full day in the city Lindsay said, "You'll find that in Seattle brushing your hair is optional". She was correct. People here are definitely less pretty - and I mean that in a good way.

In Utah you can't go out of the house unless your hair is ratted sufficiently, your skin is artificially tanned, your make-up is caked on, your hoop earrings are big enough, your nails are done and your leggings are just right. Going to church was like stepping onto the runway of a fashion show.

All I need here is a pair of jeans, some sort of jacket from REI and a Starbucks (or Tully's or Seattle's Best) cup and I fit right in! I think this city will do wonders for my self-esteem. It's brilliant.

++I normally have a good sense of direction. In driver's ed my instructor would tell us to turn North, South, East or West instead of the usual left or right. When he would call out a direction whoever was driving would look in the rear-view mirror and I would point to the left or the right so they would know which way to turn.

That is not the case in Seattle. I never know which direction I'm heading. Utah ruined me with their super simple grid system and "mountains are East" trick. Seattle has water and bridges everywhere! That's why I purchased Buttface, my GPS.

++It doesn't rain as much as everyone thinks. It is overcast a lot and if the sun is shining (which it has been the last three mornings) it can turn gray very quickly. But I was outside most of the weekend on only got rained on once while we were out on the water in a ferry boat. If it has rained while I was indoors it's a light sprinkle and usually stops after a few minutes. Granted it could be because I moved here towards the end of the rainy season, but still...

++Seattle really wants you to be "green". In fact, they almost force you. Our trash can for actual garbage is 1/3 of the size of our can for recycling. We have to recycle or else we'd have trash bags piled everywhere with no place to put them.

I've only received a bag for my groceries when I bought $100 worth of food. Any other time I've been they've just had me carry my few items out to "save a bag".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

imagine what LA is like? i don't even want to know.

seattle seems everything i have imagined. i can't wait till we settle there some day. and i would expect a lot of people being "green" there. they are known as the granola people. i take granola ANY day over "happy" valley.

Sarah said...

haha...So true about church! It's way worse in singles wards though. I felt the same way. And I'm totally laughing at myself because I just got a spray-on tan for my sister's wedding (yesterday) and you know I love to tease my hair! What can I say, I'm a Utah girl! At least I can laugh about it, right?

stephanielynn said...

Well, I can't really talk either...I like to tan and I would still have my nails done if I could afford it. There's just those certain people that have all of the above (in a bad way) - you're not one of them!