Thursday, April 17, 2008

Kickin' It With Kanye

Two nights ago, as she was walking up the stairs to go to bed, Lindsay stopped and said, "Oh, I have tickets to see Kanye West tomorrow night. Want to go?". Who just has Kanye tickets laying around? Apparently Lindsay.

So, we went...and I haven't felt so out of place in a long time. My first mistake was wearing entirely too much clothing. My mini-skirt and tube top were in the wash so I had to settle for jeans and a long sleeved shirt, which definitely separated me from 90% of the crowd.
Linds ran into some traffic issues on the way home from work so we got there late and caught the very end of N.E.R.D. Rihanna was next and was rockin' some neon outfits and crazy pink nails. I thought I only knew two of her songs, but it turns out I knew quite a few.  Of course "Umbrella" was a hit with the crowd.
I was not super impressed with Kanye.  I've never really liked him as a person (from what I've seen in interviews, at award shows, or read about him) but I thought maybe he would put on a great show that would overpower my dislike. Not so much. His show was really just to celebrate how awesome he [thinks he] is.

Although, he did say if he could get off the planet he was "stuck on" he would "stop spazzing out at award shows", which I thought was pretty funny. I do have to give him credit for his endurance.  There were rarely any breaks between songs and he was going strong the whole time.

I'm sure I would have enjoyed it more had a known more of the songs. But at least we were able to get some good people-watching in (like the lady we named "Tranny" in the blue-sequined tank top dancing her heart out alone) and got me a little more acquainted with my new city.

No comments: