Thursday, April 10, 2008

Attempting a Hobby

I decided that watching TV and surfing the internet aren't real hobbies so I've taken a crack at a "real" one. 

I bought a guitar on a whim.  
I've always wanted to be able to play and I've now taken the first step toward making it happen.

My only other attempt at playing an instrument didn't turn out the way I'd imagined.  Growing up we had a piano in our house.  My sister played a little, but other than that it was a place to set the mail.  I loved to "play"; plunking out "Happy Birthday" or "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" by ear.  In 7th grade I began taking lessons but had trouble mustering up the desire to practice (not to mention the fact that my family complained about how noisy I was every time I tried).  I was frustrated that I wasn't brilliant right off the bat and couldn't play awesome songs.  After two years my teacher "retired" from teaching but said that she would keep me as her student if I committed to practicing.  I couldn't commit and that was the end.

I will admit I'm a little worried about this attempt heading the same direction.  But I keep reminding myself that there's no way I'm going to be brilliant right away (or ever) but that if I keep at it, I could be good enough to make it enjoyable.  
So far, so good.  I've practiced almost every night and even played "Silent Night".  I'm pretty sure it sounded horrible, but I played it!  I'm hoping Linds and I can bust out some Brandi Carlile in the near-ish future.

5 comments:

Annie said...

i think that is awesome, and may be you can play something for the fam sometime

Lindsay Jane said...

I love it! Keep at it and maybe we can tie a bell around Max and have family jam nights. :)

stephanielynn said...

That mental picture just made me laugh.

Anonymous said...

made me laugh too.

good steph! it's always great to learn something new. now go in a park under a tree like a good...washington-ian? what do they call them? :)

Αναστασία said...

I think you could totally BE the next Brandi Carlile. Rock on, sister :]