Sunday, September 14, 2008

It's My Party...

So, another birthday has (almost) come and gone. I'm now on the downward slope to 30. I have to say, this was probably the most low-key birthday I've ever had...well, minus those years when I was banned from having parties because of the drama that was guaranteed to ensue. This was also the first birthday I've ever spent without my family - or really even friends - so it was different, but still good.

I celebrated on Saturday and Lindsay, Breann and I started off the evening with a round of mani/pedi's. Who doesn't love that?
The good news is I have officially found "my" nail salon in Seattle. Some of you might know of the soft spot I had for Tracy, Lani and Kim in Bountiful. They may have called me Jennifer at times, but I still loved them and was a very loyal customer. There has been a lot of trial and error over the last 4 1/2 months but my loyalties now lie with Princess Nails.

After the pampering we made a stop at Easy Street Records. That place is dangerous! I only allowed myself to purchase two CDs and was very proud of my restraint.
I was craving lettuce wraps so I decided on PF Chang's for dinner. While we waited for our table we hit up LJL's favorite store, Fireworks. It's basically a store full of crap. Not crap as in poorly crafted, but crap as in completely useless. Oh, and completely over priced. But fun to wander around in nonetheless.
Dinner was tasty and after almost dying twice on the way home (not our fault) and playing Breann a few tunes on the guitar, I got to open my one and only birthday gift...
A Chi hair dryer! And no, that was not fake excitement. Lindsay told me she bought me something I 'wanted but would never buy'. My guess was a Sonicare toothbrush because, although she swears by it, I can't bring myself to spend $50 on a toothbrush. But she couldn't have given this to me at a better time because I'm pretty sure my current blow dryer was going to burst into flames within the next 5 days.
Next up was cake. Banana split cake is kind of a tradition in my family and Lindsay was nice enough to keep it going. After a stellar rendition of Happy Birthday by Lindsay and Breann, including killer harmonies, it was time for me to make a wish and blow out my non-existent candles. I'm pretty sure I got them all on the first try!
The cake was good but Max wasn't a fan.
My actual birthday consisted of church, Grey's Anatomy season 4, more banana split cake, being home taught, peach pie, cleaning my room and doing laundry. Sunday birthday's = not much fun.

I realized tonight that on every birthday I think, This is my year. This is the year I'm going to do amazing things. And every year I'm disappointed because, deep down, I think what I really meant was This is the year I'm going to find someone, fall in love and get married. Which officially makes me the lamest person ever.

In my 25th year I did some pretty great things:
  • I saw Brandi Carlile in concert for the first time (and 2nd - 5th).
  • I discovered my love for Friday Night Lights. More specifically, Tim Riggins.
  • I bought a Mac.
  • I went to Sundance and stalked celebrities.
  • I met Perez!
  • I took a risk and moved to a new city for no known reason.
  • I stopped complaining about my old, crappy job and actually did something about it. Now I work for a top digital agency with super smart, experienced people that I'm learning so much from.
  • I strengthened my testimony by acting on faith and was reassured that my prayers really are heard and answered.
  • I overcame my fear of the bus.
  • I bought a guitar and started learning how to play (Something that had been on my "Life List" for quite some time.)
  • I went to Portland for the first time.
  • I went to A LOT of concerts and deepened my love for live music...and music in general.
  • I got a passport because I committed to go on a cruise in February (and get excited because BC is involved!)
  • I gained two nephews and a niece.
  • I went to my sister's wedding!
  • I lost 9 lbs.
So I'd say 25 could be considered 'my year'. And I'm sure, if I allow myself to view it that way, 26 will be just as great.

4 comments:

NatAttack said...

I'm glad you had such a good day! I'm also loving your year recap -- it's important to look back and remember all the good that happened. It was a BIG year!

XOXO. I think you're fabulous.

Lindsay Jane said...

Just remember our rule....you go I go so you had better be looking for brothers/cousins/roommates/etc.

Anonymous said...

it's awlays fun to have a low key birthday. i think it went great! and a CHI!!!! i have wanted to get one for 5 years now. that's why i didn;t have a blow dryer for the first two years of my marriage. (i used the one at the salon) and then i finally had to get a cheap hair dryer. that one broke a few weeks ago and again, CHI was on my mind. but i went and got yet another cheap one.

and the marriage thing....WILL happen. it will. we all have different time lines. rather it be marriage, success....it's all different.

i have had the power of prayers being answered. i KNOW the Lord hears you. He loves you. and knows the desires of your heart. and one day, your man will come.

Jase, Tate & Gav said...

I wish we could have celebrated with you, that still looked like a rockin' party. 25 was awesome. i can't wait to be 26 with ya soon!