Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Maybe I'll Invite Him to My Party

Almost every night when I leave work the same security man is sitting at the desk in the lobby when I step off the elevator. And almost every night, unless I'm lost in my own world, I say, "Have a great night" as I walk past his desk.

Tonight I got off the elevator, walked past his desk, and said the same thing I always say. But this time, instead of smiling and saying, "You too" he pointed at me and said, "September 14th".

I stopped, turned, and gave him a confused look. He said, what to me sounded like, "That's my birthday." And then I was really confused because 1) Why is he giving me unsolicited personal information? and 2) What are the chances that our birthday would be on the same day? So I clarified and said, "You're birthday is September 14th?" and he said, "No, YOU'RE birthday is September 14th".

And just as I started looking for the nearest exit/soiling myself he said, "I saw it on the board upstairs - I didn't mean to creep you out". I tried to play it cool, remembering the bulletin board on my floor where every month they post pictures of everyone in the department who has an upcoming birthday, and hoped he didn't notice the wet stain on my pants and awkwardly said, "I was going to say...'How crazy that we have the same birthday'!" {Insert nervous laughter.}

I smiled and as I turned to walk away I said, "Have a good night" and he said, "You too".

4 comments:

Annie said...

that would be creepy!!!! i would be wetting my pants as well :)

Anonymous said...

well.....it's kind of cute. i would be shocked too, but how sweet that as he went upstairs and glanced at the bulletin (Gasp!) "cute girl who says have a good night to me everynight's birthday is coming up."

and to...break the ice in a try not to be scary way, let me say" have a happy birthday! i saw your birthday is on the 14th." but she's too cute and i'm nervous and end up blurting out "Sept.14th!" i'm an idiot. she must think i'm a freak!

what if it went like that? :)

Molly said...

I like how Amanda describes it. If he's cute you should definitely invite him to your party!! :)

stephanielynn said...

If he weren't 40-something years old I might buy Amanda's theory, but I just think he was being nice. It was just a little shocking.

I think I'll ask him when his birthday is the next time I see him. Or maybe I should start by asking what his name is:)