Monday, September 08, 2008

Hello

The weather could not have been more perfect this weekend. Sunny, 70's and no humidity. Sounds like the perfect weather for an outdoor concert, right?

Tristan Prettyman sounded great and when she pulled out this guitar (she had three) I wanted to jump on stage, grab it and start running for the car. Isn't it pretty?
A few things:
1. I wanted her to talk more. I like it when people show a little personality.
2. She's brave for wearing a dress on stage.
3. When her guitar strap broke right before the chorus of War Out of Peace and she had to stop playing, I had her back on the chorus. I think she should consider taking me on tour with her just in case that ever happens again.

Next up was John Butler Trio. Turns out his fans like to smoke weed. A lot. I didn't know who they were or even realize that they were part of the line-up but they pulled gems like those tie-dyed beauties in the middle. Needless to say, Lindsay and I did not get bored during their 1+ hour set with all of the people watching going on.
PS - Don't be fooled. They didn't just stand there. There was much dancing.

Finally came G. Love & Special Sauce. Let me just say that I can't even play the guitar and sing - it's like patting my head and rubbing my stomach. But this man rocked the guitar, harmonica, sang, busted some moves and worked the mic. And was likely high, drunk or both while doing it. Impressive.
I ventured from our safe seats in the grass into the mass of people at the stage to get some pictures. It was an experience. And this was the only clear picture I got so I'm not sure it was worth it. When I saw the puffs of smoke mysteriously making their way into the air from the crowd, heard the guy behind me freak out about security roving the crowd and noticed the way my head was starting to ache, I knew it was time to make my way out of the crowd and back to my seat.

Of course he sang Rodeo Clowns (which I loved) and then when he sang Who's Got the Weed? I realized that I was even more out of my element than I am with crowd at Brandi Carlile shows.

2 comments:

Molly said...

i love g love! sounds like a great time!

Anonymous said...

Wow. There are so many questions I want to ask purple tie dye dude. If you ever run into him again please pass along my e-mail address.