Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Finding Common Ground

It's no secret that I watch a lot of crappy reality television. I've often wondered if my pop culture knowledge was ever going to come in handy. Tonight it did.

I went out with a publisher and some co-workers to the Foo Fighters concert. Yes, the Foo Fighters. This event can be filed away with the DC Pyramid in the "I was new when they asked me and didn't feel like I could say no" category. They were good, just not totally my style. But the Foo Fighters are not important to the story. 

We went to dinner before the show and I finally got to meet one of the account managers from a site that has recently made my work life a bit more hellish. As it turns out she's actually very cool and quite funny. She kept saying, "You don't know me after hours!", which made me laugh. 

And guess what we ended up bonding over? Crappy reality TV and pop culture! She's a junkie too, although she watches A Shot at Love with Tila Tequila which is even below my standards. Through the course of our discussions she used the exact one-word description I would have used to describe two of the people I love to hate: Spencer Pratt and Kanye West.

Can you guess what those one-word descriptions were for each of them?

I guess she can make my life hell at work, but after hours we can meet up to watch The Hills.

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

I can't remember if I've openly admited to being a blog stalker of yours, but I got your page of Lindsay's. Anyways, I totally hear the noise you're makin! I bond with so many people at work or outside of work over "crappy" reality tv. My favs are Rob & Big, Gene Simmons Family Jewels, So You Think You Can Dance, Bachelorette (no longer after the stupid finale, but I was a follower before that) and the Hills. I prob share a similar hate for "Spidey". Eric Fairbanks and I usually catch up the morning after a good reality line up - always a good bonding moment!

stephanielynn said...

Hey Lindsey - I'm glad you've been lurking! If you've been reading you know that R&B and SYTYCD are my faves too!

stephanielynn said...

Since no one wanted to play my little game I thought I'd share those one word descriptions...

Spencer = Douche
Kanye = B*tch