Tuesday, July 22, 2008

On the Bus Today...

When does offering an old-ish person your seat on the bus go from being insulting to a nice gesture? I always have an internal struggle with old-ish people on the bus. If I offer them my seat will they think I'm calling them old? Or will they be grateful to not have to stand? I just don't know.

But today I went for it.

An older woman got on, probably in her late 60's, and there were no seats. She was standing right next to me. So, I tapped her arm and asked if she would like to sit in my seat. She said I was very sweet, but no thank you. And then I felt kind of stupid.

I thought about it most of the way home and if I had to do it over again, I think I still would have offered.

4 comments:

Kitty said...

I don't think you can go wrong by offering. :)

NatAttack said...

Keep doing it! Don't worry about offending anyone -- it's polite. And they're always welcome to decline. Heck, I wish I looked older sometimes.

Jill Clark said...

I totally agree, I think you should always offer, even if they aren't old, you can still offer someone a seat!

stephanielynn said...

I like the feedback. And, Jill, good point about offering to non-oldish people too!