Saturday, September 18, 2010

Maui: Six

This morning we headed north and followed the same road that, on day one, caused me to literally pray that we would not fall off the side of a mountain. However, this time, we stopped well before the two lane road turned into one lane and I got carsick from all the winding.

I mean, it's day six. We've learned a thing or two by now.

This time we stopped, walked through a beautiful wooded area [complete with Tarzan-like vines hanging from trees] and ended up at a very rocky bay. A bay perfect snorkeling. You see, my snorkeling adventure on day four was no fluke. Apparently it's what I do now.

I'm happy to say that a few things were different from day four. 
1. It required much less convincing to get me in the water. [It helped that the shore consisted entirely of rocks, so not going out would have been a worse decision.]
2. I downsized from the life jacket + boogie board to the life jacket + water noodle combo. A step in the right direction if I do say so myself.
3. I ditched the death grip. Sure, I forced BS to stay very nearby the whole time, but I wasn't breaking her hand in the process.
4. We were out pretty far and the water was deep. We went beyond where all the boats were dropping snorkelers off on their paid tours.

I saw a lot more fish this time and even an eel, but sadly no sea turtles. When The Professor finally showed up again and announced that he had seen a sea turtle on his adventure, my jealousy raged. But I took comfort in the fact that it was at least half the size of Frank.

The life jacket + water noodle combo. Don't mind the crazy salt water hair or the awkward pose. Finding a way to make posing with a water noodle look natural is harder than you'd think.
The rest of the afternoon was spent at the beach working on our tans. In the words of PB, "It's crunch time" so it was necessary to do some good work. The beach was beautiful but was a little like being in a tornado. So, so windy. We eventually moved to the grass to avoid being pelted with sand, but the damage was already done. I had more sand in my hair than you could imagine. My favorite moment of the day might have been this evening when we got in the pool and The Professor was scrubbing sand out of my hair. That guy will do anything.

And for your bonus photo/story of the day. Mom and Dad went on a date tonight and left the kids at home. [Side note: I don't know how it happened, but they left Brooke in charge. Yeah, I'm confused too.] Below is the pre-date photo. Notice anything odd?
Oh, that's just me creepin' in the background. I was standing on a chair on the back porch trying to watch the fools who got their truck stuck on the beach. So, I guess I was creepin' on them too.

Only one more full day to go. Let's not talk about it.

No comments: