Monday, November 03, 2008

What are you supposed to be ?

I suck at Halloween. Is it even possible to be bad at a holiday? I don't really know - but if it is, then I'm bad at Halloween.

I fail every year for a few reasons:
1) I'm not creative/resourceful enough to come up with a good costume
2) I don't start planning early enough
3) I don't usually have any activity planned that requires a costume which doesn't provide much motivation to get those creative juices flowing.

Even as a kid I had bad costumes. I'm pretty sure I was either a bum (yes, a bum) or a witch every single year. Oh wait - there was that time in 2nd or 3rd grade when I was a "teenager" and no one had any idea what I was. Of course they didn't because what kind of costume is that?

So in keeping with my Halloween celebration style, I kept it low-key this year. Lindsay, Breann and I carved (Roloff!) pumpkins on Thursday night and I still maintain that I picked the perfect pumpkin in Portland (say that five times fast).
I always start out all ambitious but after 20 minutes of scraping out the insides and scooping out goop I remember that it's not all rainbows and ponies. I almost quit and left a half-finished pumpkin several times. I stuck with it and was pretty pleased with the outcome.
Breann wins the gold star for her attention to detail with the ghosts and Linds rocked the dinosaur. She will claim that I mocked the dinosaur idea, but it is simply not true. I just didn't get what dinos have to do with Halloween.
Disclaimer: It may appear that I'm wearing some kind of orange jumper in the picture below, but that's not the case. It's an orange shirt with a cardigan and scarf.
On Friday Lindsay, Breann and I ate some chili, cornbread and apples with caramel - yum! We started watching Hocus Pocus and after about 5 minutes Max and I were asleep on the couch.

It was 9:00pm.

The next day we were at a visiting teaching brunch and the other girls were appalled that the party they attended only went until midnight...and I was asleep by nine and totally fine with it. I'm committing now to have a brilliant costume in 2009. Check back with me next year and I'll let you know how it goes.

In other news, I tried to find real cider (and powdered donuts!), but there was no cider to be found. But I'm not giving up. No Fall is complete without it.

8 comments:

NatAttack said...

GREAT pumpkins! I'm impressed.

And I'd say it looks more like a bowling shirt than a jumper. Hehehe. Either way, nice call!

Annie said...

Teenager? I don't remember that!!! But, your comment made me laugh out loud.

Kitty said...

WOW!! Very cool pumpkins!

Your lack of enthusiasm for creative costume ideas originated with your mom. I'm sorry but it may be in the genes. I dreaded coming up with 5 costumes every Halloween. It was a great day when you were each old enough to think up something yourselves.

Leah said...

Even though I balked at the earlyish hour the Halloween party ended, I think I would have preferred carving pumpkins and watching Hocus Pocus. ;D

P.S. In middle school I went as a baby. It was a terrible costume!

Anonymous said...

i never dress up either. the girls ask me every year, "what will you be for halloween?" umm.....nothing. watching scary movies, eating chili and relaxing with my husband. that's the BEST halloween ever to me. :)

love your pumpkins! i need to do something like that. for real.

Sarah said...

Mmmmmm...we just finished a dinner of chili, cornbread and fresh apple cider ourselves! Are you seriously telling me that you can't find apple cider in Washington state? Isn't Washington known for its apples? Weird.

Anyway, I must remind you of the year I went as a cheerleader and you went as a football player. Pretty sweet. And there was that one time in High School when I was a hula dancer, Jenny was a boxer, Brandi was a scarecrow and you were...okay, so I can't remember what you were and I don't feel like digging up the picture, but I'm pretty sure it was something good.

Anyway, we didn't dress up either. Try wearing a fake wound and normal clothes. It's a good alternative to a costume.

Love ya!

stephanielynn said...

Nat: Pumpkin stencils work like a charm.

Mom: I just realized that I got the shaft because I was the youngest and you were all out of ideas.

Leah: Now that you mention it, I was a baby too! Probably more than once.

Amanda: What is it about chili on Halloween? So perfect.

Sar:I only went to one store for the cider, but there was NONE. I was surprised too.

And I can totally picture your cheerleader costume (was there a white turtleneck involved?) but I only vaguely remember being a football player. Maybe I wore Julie's powder puff jersey?

Oh, and that time in HS I was a nurse. I wore Lindsay's scrubs with teddy bears on them. Yes, teddy bears. Further evidence of my crappy costumes.

stephanielynn said...

Oh and Annie: I just wore make-up and some sort of headband. Apparently that's all a teenager was to me.