Sunday, November 09, 2008

Now Is The Time to Show

On my way into Stake Conference this morning I was greeted by protesters outside the church chanting things like "Our family is better than yours" and "Shame on the church" (which Breann misheard as "Save Mamma's church"...close, but not quite).

I couldn't stop thinking about it all through the meeting and the words to the hymn Who's on the Lord's Side? kept running through my mind. I realized that I've been a fence-sitter and that indecision isn't an option (which is too bad because indecision is one of my biggest strengths).

I need to buck up because it only gets harder from here.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

good insight steph. i too am feeling weird about it all. such a loaded issue.

Sarah said...

Tough, huh? I finally went public with my opinions and ended up with a 27 comment long debate on my facebook wall. But I don't regret it. These are times when "evil shall be called good and good shall be called evil" and don't we see it all around us? But I'm glad to know which side I'm on, no matter how difficult. Good luck out there!

Anonymous said...

brian's been getting it hard at work and finally convinced the accuser that he was a hypocrite. a hypocrite because the world won't let us have more then one wife. because the US doesn't allow a 14 year old girl to marry a 50 year old man. (they allow it in switzerland) because the world doesn't allow a father to marry his daughter. or a brother and sister to get married.

if you want to pull that up. and why protest against the LDS church? the voters of CALIFORNIA voted yes. they could have said no. we tried to stop it and CALIFORNIA agreed.

it will get harder on us. and i really do fear mob like actions will come again. you know what they said about the future. that utah will become too dangerous, that they will have to move Church Headquarters to Missouri.

Carlee said...

Steph. . . I wrote a blog on the issue and it may have been to my demise because I haven't heard much banter. . . or really any chatting my my general direction lately - sitting down here in no man's liberal land!
Some time ago Elder Maxwell made a statement and essentially said "There will come a day when you'll need to decide to follow the prophet or not. Either believe or not. And it's coming."
Good for you for choosing to follow. I feel worse for those who are buckling under the pressure. Too bad for them because NOW is the time to show.