Friday, January 18, 2008

Hidden Treasures

When I moved from Michigan to Utah in the summer of 2000 I left my parents with a childless home.  Because there was no one there to take my place and my mom had already turned the "spare" bedroom into her office, I left for college with everything exactly the way it was.  Every photo, every nick-knack, every book - all in their designated position. Forever.

Well, two years later my brother moved back home and took over my old room.  In preparation for him coming home my mom boxed up all of my belongings - every photo, every nick-knack, every book - and banished them to the basement with the 12 million other boxes that were already there.

It turns out the contents of my bedroom filled 10 boxes.  Possibly a new record for the Howard house.  It had been 7+ years and  I still had never looked in one of those boxes.  So while I was in Michigan for the holidays, I tasked myself with going through it all and downsizing.

It was not smart of me to save this so-called "downsizing" for my last night there.  Lesson learned.  Apparently I didn't know what a garbage can was from the ages of 12-17 because it appeared that I had thrown nothing away.

But hidden among all the crap I found some gems.  Please see my exhibits below.

Exhibit A: Got Milk? print ad featuring my Dawson's Creek boyfriend, Pacey Witter.  This was hanging on my bulletin board for probably three years of high school. 

Exhibit B: Remember when Mt. Dew had the green tabs?  Yeah, I made some sort of necklace out of them.  Now, this was not a necklace to be worn, just a collection of tabs.  And ever sadder still, I saved the necklace.

Exhibit C: Old copies of Seventeen.  My first subscription was to YM and I eventually graduated to Seventeen.  I'm still can't figure out why I saved them all (this picture represents only a portion of what was actually in the box).

Exhibit D: Friendship bracelets.  And you had better believe those bad boys are homemade. 

Exhibit E: Some sweet goggles from Chemistry and/or Advanced Chemistry.

Exhibit F: This is the jackpot.  I found all of my News Kids on the Block memorabilia.  A wall pennant, sunglasses, cassette tape, buttons of various sizes, a book of pictures, trading cards and a mini-cassette looking box that I believe had gum in it. 

Finally around 3 am my mom told me that I would have to finish the next time I came home.  Six bags and one giant box of trash later, I had gone from 10 boxes to 5 or six.

5 comments:

Kenn N said...

I don't think I was ready for this insight into your high school psyche. It's a bit scary. But I've had the chance of going through my things a few years back and it is a lot of fun to remember what life was like through your possessions.

NatAttack said...

Ahhh.. the dreaded clean-through. I do that about everytime I'm home. I'm down to one box at the rents.

You look GORGEOUS in that photo with the chem glasses. HOT!

stephanielynn said...

Kenn, it may be important to note that Exhibits D and F were not from the high schools years. That doesn't make it better does it?

Nat, one box!? That's impressive. Lindsay said she got it down to a shoebox...I don't believe it.

cds said...

my favorite: the pacey poster! duh.

p.s. i finished season 4.

Lindsay Jane said...

I like it and I think if you were cleaning out your "boxes from today" it would include things like a Brandi Carlile collection, a poster of Patrick Dempsey and John Krasinski, concert ticket stubs, Twilight Books, vendor swag, and blog links.