Wednesday, February 03, 2010

On the bus today...

...I saw a woman nearly get accosted for her cigarette. Ok, so it wasn't on the bus. But it was on the way to the bus, so I'm counting it. Remember how I make the rules around here?

Right.

I was standing on the corner, waiting for the light to turn green. I had passed by a man who I thought was going to ask me for money, but he just stared at me without saying anything as I passed by. Soon after I stopped on the corner a woman came up next to me. I continued to mind my own business, maybe pretending other people didn't exist (as usual) when the man I had passed was suddenly standing in front of me.

He said something to the woman that I missed because my headphones were in, but his gaze was in the direction of her hand at her side. She may have said something back to him (again, the headphones) and then he looked me up and down, but still said nothing.

Before I knew it he was making a move towards her, reaching out for her right hand. I quickly removed my headphones (since I thought it was getting to a point where I couldn't pretend these people didn't exist) as she yelled out, "Don't get aggressive. I will call the police!". He stopped and continued to stare. I looked over to see what he wanted so badly and saw that she was holding a cigarette.

We all stood there awkwardly for a moment and then the light turned green and we all went our separate ways.

I guess he could tell smoking wasn't my thing.

No comments: