Sunday, October 05, 2008

Six Months Ago I Moved to Seattle

Once upon a time, exactly 6 months ago (yesterday) I packed up my car, cried as I said goodbye to Tatum and Gavin, picked up Jill and headed north on I-15 to start a new life in Seattle.
The drive was long and I was very tired after a whirlwind month of moving out of my house, moving in with T&J, quitting my job without having another lined up, interviewing for my current job, preparing a presentation for the 3 hour in-person interview, deciding whether or not to go on a European cruise without knowing when my next paycheck would come and, the hardest thing, saying goodbye to friends and family.
Jill was kind enough to ride with me and we still managed to have some fun. I was getting gas in Bliss, Idaho when I got the call offering me the job. It was so reassuring to know that things were falling into place and that no matter what happened, I had received confirmation that I was making the right choice.
After many hours and a mishap in Oregon where I tried to pump my own gas (and a small Oregon blizzard) we finally made it to the great state of Washington! We risked our lives by stopping on this bridge that didn't really have a shoulder to take pictures with this sign. It was a wee bit windy.
We encountered another blizzard driving through the Snoqualmie Pass and when we stopped for a bathroom break we found these massive snow banks.
Eventually, we made it. It was official I had moved to Seattle.
I was pretty overwhelmed that first night - well, the whole weekend - but especially that first night. This was supposed be home, but I got lost finding my house and inside my room was full of boxes. I tried to suppress a freak out and focus on having a fun weekend. I mean, Jill needed to be entertained, right?! It's kind of hard to entertain someone in a city that is as new to you as it is to her, but we did our best.

First on the list was Pike Place Market. A must-see for any trip to Seattle.
We walked through the market and ate at the Three Girls bakery. Very fitting for the three girls on a tour of the town.
There was some shopping involved. Those who know me know that I'm not the world's best shopper, especially in my unbalanced emotional state. I barely survived.
We saw the troll under the bridge. I picked his nose.
We checked out Gasworks Park. There's a great view of the city and Lake Union from there. Little did I know I'd be driving past this park every Sunday on my way to church.
I bought a guitar for no reason and I haven't regretted it for a second.
I ate a Pork Bomber.
Breakfast at the Blue Star Cafe. Delicious food but I was a little confused by the mural of bunnies that looked like they might kill me.
I fell asleep a lot that weekend and got made fun of a lot for it. I may have said, "You guys are b*tches" when I first saw this photo, but don't worry I was able to laugh about it later.
We tried to find the Tulip Festival, but the tulip's hadn't bloomed yet so we only got to see daffodils. Still beautiful.

I tried to put my room together as much as possible. I was thrown by how small and oddly-shaped it was, but now I love it.
The Space Needle, of course.
Seattle has random art all over the city. These eyes are down by the waterfront.
We took a ferry ride to Bainbridge Island. It was more for the ferry experience and less for the Bainbridge experience so we got off and got right back on without exploring the island. It was fun to see the city from out on the water.
I can't believe it's been six months since that weekend. It feels like so much has happened and also like nothing has happened. That first night was definitely not the last time I've been overwhelmed in this city, but I still know I made the right decision. I don't know why I'm supposed to be here or what I'm supposed to be learning, but I'm OK with that.

Maybe in another six months I'll have a better answer for you.

4 comments:

Lindsay Jane said...

I know why you are supposed to be here...because we are going to be BFF's with BCB!

Jill Clark said...

I LOVE this post! Just today I was thinking where I was last conference and I loved it! It was so much fun going up there with you despite the turmoil you were going through. I need to make it up there again because I really do miss being your friend and having you around! But I am glad you are where you are supposed to be and the "why's" of it just don't matter, I usually never know why I am supposed to do anything.

I think you are great and I really am so impressed with how brave you were to pick up and move with so many things unsettled, that is courageous in my book!

I also loved the walk down memory lane, so fun!

Anonymous said...

wow, that is crazy that it has been 6 months! time does fly by. (i still crack up laughing on the photo of you asleep) :)

Sarah said...

fun post steph. i want to go to seattle now!