Sunday, October 12, 2008

Portland and Pumpkins

After work on Friday, Breann, Lindsay and I hopped in the car and made our way down to Portland. Why? Well, you might be aware that I watch a lot of television. One of those shows is Little People, Big World on TLC. I love the Roloff's! Pretty much as soon as I moved to Seattle Lindsay and I decided that we would head down to Portland to visit their farm during "pumpkin season" - so that's what we did!

After the drive down we were all feeling a little grimy. We took about 15 photos and this was the best we could come up with.
This was what our hotel room looked like each night. Leave it to us to watch TV and surf the internet even when we're on "vacation".
We got up Saturday morning and headed out to Hillsboro, about 45 minutes west of Portland. It might look like they live in the middle of nowhere with no neighbors for miles on TV, but that's not the case.

Cars were lined up for the last mile but it was a beautiful day so we didn't mind waiting.
When we finally pulled into the drive I started freaking out because I saw Matt in his "mule" up ahead. He stopped us and we had to wait for a few minutes while they let some other cars through. I snapped this picture while they weren't looking. Matt was supervising while Zach directed traffic.
We chatted it up with Matt and he told us to "be careful what you wish for" as he tried to figure out how to get all these people on his farm. And can I just say that I love Zach? While we waited we heard this conversation between Zach and Matt after a car left the farm.

Z: Dad, she looked mad.
M: I'm sure she wasn't mad. Did she wave at you when she drove by?
Z: Yeah...but it wasn't a happy wave.

After about an hour we finally made it to the parking lot and were able to check out the farm!
They have two tours available and we opted for the scenic tour. The wait was about an hour and while we were in line Matt came through! He was so nice to stop and take pictures with everyone.
On the tour we rode past the house, the barns, their favorite spot to watch the sunset, the swamp fort that that boys built and the backside of the western town. The other tour was specifically for the western town and we could have met Molly and Matt's parents if we had taken it, but we didn't want to wait in line for another hour.

The view of the pumpkin patch from the wagon tour.
I don't think I've ever picked a pumpkin from a patch. With so many to choose from it's hard to find the right one!
But eventually I did!
Sven weighed our pumpkins for us and we couldn't resist taking this photo. I think it's so funny!
The crew was there filming. They got Zach directing traffic on his bike.
And Matt checking on the line to weigh/buy pumpkins. Amy and Jacob were MIA and Jeremy was too cool for school. We saw him hanging out with his friends up by the house.
You might think we're crazy for going, but this is what we do! Maybe you'll even see us on TV!

This morning we went to Old Town Portland to VooDoo Doughnuts. The place was a dump, but apparently it's famous. I went with the ODB - yeast doughnut, chocolate fudge, Oreos and peanut butter - on recommendation from the guy behind the counter. It was...intense.
Then we went to brunch and walked around the Pearl District. There were a lot of parks and courtyards and I found this bench that I fell in love with. Random, yes.
Me and my bench.
It was a really fun trip. I love seeing new places. Next we're going to have to discover Vancouver.

8 comments:

Yo said...

i love the Roloff's! I miss them since we haven't had cable in almost a year! you girls are great!

Sarah said...

I have to say that you found a perfect pumpkin! Nice work!

Annie said...

that is awesome steph!!!! you hve so many awesome adventures!!!

Anonymous said...

that is so great! and i love your face book profile picture. so cute and perfect for the fall.

let me know if you all make it on TV. i will for sure catch a re-run.

man....i can't wait until we move to that area. so beautiful!

Kitty said...

Thanks for sharing,Steph. Sounds like you had a great time! I love the picture with the pumpkin.

Julie said...

Awesome Pumpkin Steph! Wish I could've met Matt!

Em said...

FYI, this is the most jealous I've been of one of your adventures.

Em said...

FYI, this is the most jealous I've been of one of your adventures.