Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Media glands? Seriously?

I'm a fan of giving blood. I'm not scared of needles and it makes me feel like I'm actually helping in some small way. I haven't done it for nearly two years because I got pretty sick the last time, but when I pulled into work this morning and saw the blood mobile in the parking lot, I figured it was time to give it another shot.

It was business as usual until, as the blood guy was finishing things up, he tried to have a conversation with me. He was actually pretty cute and I was expecting something other than what happened...

Blood Guy: "So, what do you do here?"
Me: "I'm a Media Strategist." (I note the look of confusion on his face.) "I put together media plans for our clients.
BG: (Now looking extra confused.) "The what?"
Me: "Media plans."
BG: "Media glands?"
Me: "PLANS. Like when we buy TV or Internet advertising space...we're a marketing company."

*Awkward silence. I'm pretty sure he still doesn't get it.*

BG: "So how long have you been doing that?"
Me: "Two and a half years."

*Awkward silence. Apparently he starts to laugh.*

BG: "I'm sorry I'm laughing."
What I heard: "Smarney in laughlin."

*Awkward silence. Now I'm the one confused and I just smile in response because I have no idea what he's talking about and am too distracted to think of anything to say.*


BG: "It's just that I want to ask you another question, but I don't know where to go from there. That's why I'm laughing."

*Awkward silence. It dawns on me that he didn't actually say "Smarney in laughlin" but it's too late to formulate any sort of response. Plus, my arm is now straight up in the air and I'm putting on pressure to stop the bleeding.*

BG: "I've just never met one of you before."

By then it was over. The conversation had more than derailed so I just smiled and nodded. He lost me at media glands and I just couldn't get past it.

Although he may not be great with conversation, he's exceptional with the needle. Not a bruise in sight. Maybe next time he should skip the small talk.

3 comments:

Lindsay Jane said...

Steph...this is too funny. Next time, just try telling him you help make junk mail and spam to people just like him and then ask him if he is looking for an affordable, fast, and convenient way to continue his education. Then hit up AU for your "finders fee."

Annie said...

smarney in laughlin? I can't stop laughing:) Reminds me of someone else in the family.

stephanielynn said...

Good idea, Linds!

Ann, he mumbled. I don't have Dad Syndrome! Not yet anyway.