Friday, January 01, 2010

Nice to Meet You, 2010.

For some reason New Year's Eve always makes me a little sad. I guess it feels like some sort of deadline and I'm always left feeling like I haven't quite done enough. (Which is pretty much standard for my life in general, but I'll save that for therapy.) Needless to say, I've never been a fan of the holiday and have actually spent the last few years void of any sort of celebration.

This year I decided things would be different.

I spent most of the day working and a better part of the evening literally staring at the wall, just thinking. By 8:30pm I decided I should probably shower if I was really going to make this NYE thing happen.

I had already committed Lindsay to coming out with me and, after several persuasive speeches, I was able to get Cara to come as well. (Semi-tangent: On the way out the door I said, "Cara, it's already 10:30. By the time we get there we'll only have to make it through an hour, tops." To which she replied, "Yeah, that's about 55 minutes longer than I'd like." Ah, love her.)

So, we went to a dance. A DANCE. Where all the lights were on and they were serving chips and salsa. It was also a sweat box and within five minutes I looked like a hot, hot mess. BUT I did what I set out to do just by showing up and in the end it was a good time. I mean, Lindsay even worked in a New Year's kiss so really she should be thanking me.

When the clock struck 12 we were standing outside in the rain watching fireworks at the Space Needle. We'd had our fill of the dance so we decided to top off the evening with a viewing of Newsies, sing-along included. Oh that Christian Bale...


Here we are post festivities. See what I mean about looking like a hot mess?

I think I'll reflect on the past year in another post, but for now I'll just say "It's nice to meet you, 2010. I think this is the beginning of something good."


Oh, and if you'd like to catch up on my non-celebrations of years past, I've linked them here for your convenience. You're welcome.
NYE 2006
NYE 2007
NYE 2008

2 comments:

Amy North said...

Ummm, is it creepy if I say that I don't think you looked like a hot 'mess' persay, but I think all 3 of you ladies were just lookin' HOT?? :) Go you for being social and whatnot (not that you actually danced or anything, I'm sure, but good effort). Happy New Year Step-on-me!

stephanielynn said...

Oh, you're too kind, Amy. And of course I actually danced! Ron Jeremy was our DJ - talk about creepster.