Sunday, August 16, 2009

Who are you and what have you done with Stephanie?

I don't know what came over me, but I was in a particularly good mood today. Maybe it was just a rebound from the serious funk I found myself in yesterday. Who knows? Either way, I was feeling (and sharing) the love.

I was sitting in the second hour of church, waiting for class to start, when a friend walked in with a new-ish haircut and I said something along the lines of, "Have I told you yet how cute your hair is? Because it is." And over the course of the next five minutes I proceeded to tell Pamela how much I liked her sweater and Cara how adorable her notebook was.

Cara then turned to me and said, "Who are you and what have you done with Stephanie?".

What? A girl can't compliment where a compliment is deserved?

Then in the third hour I spent five minutes flagging another girl down to tell her I liked her bag. Cara then accused me of passing out compliments like "golden tickets". Here's the thing, I meant every one of those compliments. And if I'm thinking them, why not share them?

But then I started thinking about how out of the ordinary my behavior seemed to my friends. FRIENDS. People that I see on a very regular basis and spend significant amounts of time with. If they were so shocked by my friendliness then clearly I'm doing something wrong.

For the record, I don't think I was acting out of the ordinary. Everyone was just looking exceptionally good today.

No comments: