Thursday, July 30, 2009

The Arrival

I survived the week and have arrived in Michigan. I caught a red eye on Wednesday night (from the same gate I spent the night at over Christmas) and endured the wee hours of the morning in very close proximity to a large man who was unfortunate enough to get the middle seat, but felt the need to lean in my direction for 3.5 hours. He also felt the need to read the whole time with his overhead light blaring in my eyes and the need to take his shoes off and also to pick a spot on his arm until it bled. Needless to say, I didn't get as much rest as I had planned since I spent the whole night trying to dodge any contact with this man.

I landed at 5:30am local time, caught a shuttle (after waiting an hour) to a nearby hotel where I proceeded to sleep on a smokey smelling couch for an hour. I managed to wake up enough to grab some breakfast and promptly fall back asleep with my nephew as we made our way up to H-Town.

An hour after that we pulled into town and quickly devised a plan. We parked on the next street over, snuck through the neighbor's yard and around the front of the garage. I was in charge of the video camera while Geoff dropped off the baby on the porch and knocked on the door. You see, I had called my mom and told her that I changed my flight to come in that afternoon and she had no idea that G&L + Knocky were coming at all. I could hear my mom inside saying, "Oh, they're here! They're here!" and then she proceeded to FREAK OUT. No, seriously.

It. Was. Awesome.
(I have it all on video, but I don't know if I have permission to post it or not.)

The rest of the morning is a blur. I just remember waking up on the couch hours later (maybe three or four) with my sister having magically appeared from the airport. The rest of the day was delightful and included a trip to Target, home-cooked food, perfect weather, a bike ride, a walk, strawberry shortcake, SYTYCD, playing with my nephew and enjoying my family's company.

It may have had a rough start, but today ended up being one of the best I've had in a while.

1 comment:

John and Rachel Stephens said...

You HAVE to post the video! I bet it was great! Nobody can get excited like your Mom can!