Friday, July 10, 2009

Jagged Nails

This morning I was reprimanded for being a bad blogger. So while I was supposed to be paying attention to an online training this morning, I wrote this little ditty. If I get fired for not knowing how to use that research tool, I blame Cara.

My friend Carlee says that you can tell a lot about a person by the amount of animal hair they have on their clothes. Another friend told me recently that you can tell a lot about a person by looking through their iTunes (PS - That comment was made while looking through my iTunes. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t a good thing. I mean, I have an O-Town CD. And by that I mean two O-Town CDs.)

I think you can tell a lot about a person by their fingernails. Are they: Long? Gnawed down to nubs? Dirty? Professionally manicured? Painted? Neat but bare?

I’m afraid my fingernails are not portraying me accurately today. They’re jagged. Jagged as in some of the edges could do some serious damage if they came in contact with your skin the wrong way.

And I don’t feel like that’s who I am.

I’ve been staring at them for the last few days (usually when I’m supposed to be paying attention in a meeting) and thinking how long they are. So this morning while I was getting ready I couldn’t take it any longer and just clipped them, but there was no filing involved; thus the jagged edges.

But if someone were to make assumptions about me based on my nails they’d be getting the wrong impression. Although, I don’t actually know what jagged-edged nails say about a person – maybe they’re harsh or don’t pay attention to details or they secretly like to cut people. I don’t know. But none of those things describe me.

I’m the type of person who likes polished nails. I would have an acrylic French manicure if it weren’t a waste of money and if I didn’t pretend that I was learning to play the guitar. But would that make me appear high-maintenance? (I like to think I’m not high-maintenance, but I’m sure some might disagree.)

Maybe I should have thought this theory through more carefully…

I guess what I’m saying is that I want to file my nails. And paint them. And I hope that during this lunch meeting I’m attending in two minutes, no one judges me based on the appearance of my jagged nails.

Because I don’t secretly cut people.

3 comments:

Kitty said...

I missed you! :)

Annie said...

me too! i needed my steph fix

Annie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.