Sunday, April 26, 2009

Third Time in One Week

On Wednesday after work Lindsay and I hit the road for Spokane. Brandi Carlile was playing a show with the Spokane Symphony so of course we made the trip. And for those of you that are asking yourselves if she recognizes us or knows our names, the answer is no. And for those of you that think we're ridiculous fans, well, I can't dispute that, BUT there are fans that are far more ridiculous than us. Trust me.

I spent Thursday and Friday working from Lindsay's parent's home. This was my "office" for those two days.

The show was Thursday night and of course it was fantastic. Lindsay's parents came as well as her brother and his girlfriend. It's always fun to go to shows with new people!

Katie Herzig opened the show. She was one of the artists on the cruise and you might remember her from my Ten Out of Tenn post. No? Well, she was the reason we went. Brandi said they met on the cruise and "fell in summer camp love" so she invited her out to open.
There were few things about this show that I loved.
1. Brandi was rockin' a suit. Sure, she still had on the vest underneath and was barefoot, but it was still strange to see.
2. She told a funny story about recording with Elton John last weekend. I love the part where she says Elton looked "super handsome and awesome".

3. I may have fallen in love with a new song, Pride and Joy. I've heard it a lot of times, but it's never really hit me before like it did that night. Take a listen if you'd like.

4. My number one favorite moment of the night was after she finished singing The Story she turned around to face the symphony while playing the last measure of the song. The audience was already clapping, but while her back was turned the entire theater gave her a standing ovation. When she turned back around and saw the room on their feet she had the most genuine look of surprise on her face. At one point it even looked like she might have teared up a little bit. She's played that song a million times - it's her big finish - but it was just so impressive to me that she was truly surprised at the audience's reaction.

One other noteworthy event of the trip was that I didn't fall asleep once on the trip back Friday night. That's pretty much unheard of for me and I don't know what came over me. Maybe it was the combination of the sweet tunes, Diet Coke and a Peanut Butter Twix.

No comments: