Saturday, April 25, 2009

Salt Lake City Weekend

It's kind of a long story about how last weekend came to fruition so I'll spare you the details and just say that I ended up in Salt Lake City for three days. And it was good. I was running around all weekend, but it was so great to see everyone again! I don't miss Utah as a place very often, but I definitely miss the people there a lot.

You will also find that I discovered collages for this post. One word: BRILLIANT.


On Friday I spent the morning with my sister-in-law and nephew, lunched with Cambo, hit up Ikea with my sister-in-law & nephew (an adventure all of its own), dinnered with Linds, Em & Chels, spent the evening with the Keith's and into the wee hours of the morning with Brian & Amanda.

I adore Emily & Chelsea and they never cease to produce an adventure. We hit up Firehouse Pizza and topped it off with a photo shoot outside. I just laughed the whole time - shocker.
I spent the evening with Tatum and her family. I finally got to meet her little Owen! He puked on me within the first five minutes but I still think he's adorable! And check out his killer hair. Gavin is still a genius child and I was happy to find that he remembered me. I mean, how could you forget the woman who lived with you for a month and taught you the phrase "drop a deuce"?
Saturday morning I got up early (shocking, I know) and met up with Jill and Lindsay for breakfast at our favorite spot in North Salt Lake. It was great to see her and catch up briefly on what's been happening for the last year.
I was able to spend some time with Audrey (who is having a baby girl!) and her family. Her son Oliver is totally adorable. We kept trying to get him to say "Steph" and always came out as "Guk", but he was so cute that it didn't even matter.
Lindsay and I made quick trip up to Layton to see Carlee before the Brandi Carlile show that night. I had yet to see her new digs and she had a "special surprise" for us. We had introduced her and her friends to the joy that is Tim Riggins (Friday Night Lights) so they made us these killer shirts in return.

Did I mention Lindsay's sweet ride? She picked me up from the airport in that thing and I could not stop laughing.

Saturday night was all about Brandi Carlile. The show was at a new little venue call The State Room. It only holds 300 people so we were able to get front and center. We were so close that when she came to the edge of the stage to sing Dying Day the row in front me moved to either side and Brandi was stomping her boots right in my face. LOVED IT. Check out the video.

The show was amazing. Brandi had just flown in from Vegas after spending the day recording a song for the new record with Elton John so the energy was good. It was fun to be able to see the show with Em & Chelsea. They love Brandi just as much as I do but I've never been able to see a show with them. Afterward we got a couple pictures. She wouldn't participate in flipping off the camera because she, "learned a long time ago not to do anything she doesn't want to show up on the internet." Smart girl.

Sidenote: Flipping off the camera just comes with the territory of hanging out with these ladies. It's all in good fun.

Sunday was a beautiful day. I was able to sleep in and then hit up church with G&L and the nephew. He was crawling all over and keeping us entertained. He still would barely crack a smile for me, but had at least stopped looking at me like I was from another planet.

In the afternoon I met up with Emily and Chelsea for a free Brandi show at the Graywhale near the U. It was sunny and 80 degrees and a perfect way to spend the afternoon. The set was only 30 minutes but still a lot of fun.

My trip ended by playing Rockband with my brother and sister-in-law and her family. I tried the drums for the first time and kind of loved it.

It was a jam-packed weekend, but I'm so glad it all came together at the last minute!

No comments: