Thursday, January 11, 2007

Single...And Painfully Aware

I hate Valentine's Day.

Last night I walked into the store and all things Valentine were staring right at me. Pink and red hearts, gummy cinnamon lips, giant Hershey kisses--an entire aisle devoted to the day that makes me feel like crap every year.

I haven't had a date on Valentine's Day since high school. The closest I've come since then was a few years ago. One of my good friends, who I happened to have a giant crush on, decided that he had a crush on my roommate. Always awesome. He made "plans" with her to watch a movie at our place on V-Day. Turns out she didn't think as much of those plans as he would've hoped and got back together with her ex-boyfriend the night before the big day. He ended up watching a movie with me--by default. (To give myself a little credit, we did end up dating a month later.)

Needless to say, if that's the closest I've come to a date on Valentines' Day since high school, you can see why I hate the holiday. I'm wondering if I just embrace February 14th if the day will do less harm.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I try to look at Valentine's as "love" day. It might sound way corny, but it lets me not feel to crappy. Maybe have a Valentine's Day party, and try to be super cheery! See if that helps!

Anonymous said...

I could think of at least five single men at D-Mark who would be thrilled by an invitation out by you. Maybe you should make it happen.

Anonymous said...

Nat...do list the 5 single men. Let's make this a V-Day to remember to Stephy-boo.

Steph, I've never had a date on V-day either. This year I might though.

stephanielynn said...

LOL...there is not anywhere near 5 that Nat could list.

And, Matthew, I'm pretty sure you're set this year:)

stephanielynn said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.