Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Curls.

Ask anyone who has naturally curly hair if they like it and the overwhelming majority will tell you they don't. I've hated mine since, well, forever. This strong dislike is what led me to perfect my roundbrushing skills at the tender age of 7th grade. (I don't feel like doing the math. Is it 12?) What I'm saying is that it takes me a bit of effort every morning to get my hair to look "normal". My finished product is everyone else's Step 2.

But I'm not bitter or anything.

When I got my hair cut a couple weeks ago, my stylist mentioned the fact that we "pretty much have the same hair type" minus the naturally curly part. Except hers looked adorable. And mine did not. So I asked her what size curling iron she uses, blah, blah, blah, and devised a plan to be the type of girl that actually does something with her hair.

Cut to this weekend when I put the wisdom she passed along into action. First attempt was roughly 46.5% failure. Second attempt was 95% success. Today was my third attempt and also my first workday test run. All appeared to be going well until one side of my hair went flat before I even sat down at my desk. But humidity has done worse things to my hair when I've tried to keep it straight, so I wasn't too concerned about it.

Until I sat down in Boss #1.5's office for a meeting. She looked at me and said, "I really like your hair like that. Some of it kind of wavy and some of it kind of straight."It took everything I had not to laugh out loud. Instead a just thanked her and explained that it was actually all curled, but didn't quite stay that way.

But Internet, I'm not giving up. I may be a quitter when it comes to most things, but I won't quit on my hair. I stick to it when it relates to the truly important things in life.

2 comments:

Annie said...

so how are you curling it?? In ringlet type formation or...

Em said...

Picture please.