Friday, November 20, 2009

Nice to See You Again

I've been thinking of some things I want to share with you, Internet. Life's been a bit frantic for the past while, but I've taken notes (literally) as these tidbits have popped into brain.

You're welcome.

+I spent a lot of time in PowerPoint this week. Too much time. As I was trying to make my slides more visually appealing (or "sexify" them as one co-worker called it) I remembered that at one point in my life I wanted to go into graphic design. I'm completely void of creativity so I'm not quite sure why I ever got this idea into my head. The end.

+Dilemma: I hate answering my desk phone when I don't know who is calling (caller ID only gets me so far) but I equally hate having unheard voicemail. They show up in my email inbox and my OCD kicks in. I received four VMs within 20 minutes on Wednesday and my head nearly exploded.

+I worked close to 20 hours in one day earlier this week. A new personal record and one that I wish I hadn't broken. But when I got to thinking about it I thought "Maybe I should consider rocking a few "Power Days" a week and then taking the rest off". And then I realized there are people who do that and they're called doctors.

+On Wednesday all I ate was four bags of chips. FOUR BAGS. Here's how something so ridiculous happened....

Lunch was ordered in for us during one of our three big client presentations, but since I was one of two presenters I couldn't eat during the meeting. After it was over I went to get food and the tuna sandwich was my only option. No big deal. I've been known eat tuna on occasion. But when I got back to my desk I realized that real tuna is different than canned tuna. I tried two bites, saw some weird things, and just couldn't do it. Thus, two bags of chips for lunch.

We ended up working very late that night as well. Around 9pm I went scavenging for food and found two leftover bags of chips in the conference room.

Chips for lunch and dinner. Being and adult is fun.

+Remember when the Internet was called "The Net"? I'm thinking about bringing it back. Tonight I used "surfing The Net" in a sentence.

+I ate Skittles & Diet Coke for dinner one night (are you concerned about my health yet?) and by 8:30 I was feeling kind of sick. I announced, "Guys, I've eaten so much candy I'm to the point where I just want to go brush my teeth." They didn't know what to do with that one. Sometimes I forget that my co-workers know a slightly less spastic version of me.

+A co-worker received a demo CD from an aspiring musician cab driver earlier this week so we played it while we were slaving away one night. I wish I could play it for you right now because it would make your night. Trust me. With lyrics like "I want to go to Australia. Shrimps on the barbie, chicks on the beach." you really can't go wrong.

+This morning I almost missed my bus stop because I was asleep. I don't know what made me think sleeping on the bus was a good idea when I continue to sleep through three alarms in the morning. Especially with headphones in to block out noise and my narcolepsy as a passenger in any vehicle, any time of day.

+Warning: This is a bathroom story. (Side note: I think of SO MANY things to post about while in the bathroom. Be grateful for the restraint I exercise in not posting 98% of them.)

I have a favorite bathroom stall. Is that strange? I don't really think so. But today when I tried to hit up my fave I was met with a kid that was left at the pool. Are you picking up what I'm laying down?

First of all, gross.
Second of all, are we two years old?

Regardless, my first reaction turn around and use another stall. Then I thought, what if I pretend I never saw the kid left at the pool, use another stall and then run into someone as I'm leaving who then tries to use my favorite stall, sees the kid left at the pool and thinks it was me? This was simply a risk I could not take so I sent the kid home.

I guess that's what happens when you care about what other people think of you. And your bathroom etiquette.

+I had a work event this evening and afterward met some friends for dinner a few blocks away. As I was walking to the restaurant I met a homeless man on the street. He told me to have a good evening and I smiled at him. He then said, "Oh! I got the dimples. Pretty dimples." Why is it that I can't manage to get a compliment from anyone other than old men on the bus or homeless men on the street?

+Tomorrow is Friday. I get to see Brandi Carlile for free. I can sleep in on Saturday. Next week is a three day week. All is well.

2 comments:

Annie said...

Nice to see you too. : so here is a conversation my friend had on a street corner of seattle:
After I bought my small baguette I left the bakery and walked to the street light and waited for my turn to cross. In the mean time another women left the bakery, grabbed her two dogs that were waiting outside and she joined me at the stop light.

And then she turned to me and said "are you a chemist?"

"Excuse me?" I asked not sure that I had heard her right.

"Are you a chemist?" she asked again.

"No, I am not" I replied, almost laughing.

"Have you taken any chemistry classes?" she asked.

"Um....yeah. In high school" I said with a chuckle.

"Oh, I guess that won't help me" she said. "I want to take a chemistry class and I don't know if I'm going to take the right one or if I can handle it or what".

"Yup, sorry. I cannot help you there".

Seattle might be the place...

Kitty said...

Missed you! Glad you are back! This entry didn't disappoint me. You make me smile:)