Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Definition of Personal Day

Work has been rough lately. I don't know what it is, but I've lost my ability to cope with pretty much any situation - the people I work with, the tasks I'm required to do, the clients I work on - all of it. Last week was the worst yet and was filled with a lot of venting (aka: yelling...literally yelling at Carlee), several anxiety attacks and a little mid-day crying in my cube.

Sunday night as I thought about coming in to work the next day I got sick to my stomach. So I decided I wasn't going to go. We have personal days and vacation days - not sick days and vacation days. I don't have to be sick to call in and, honestly, I don't have to give a reason because it's "personal".

It was one of the best days I've had in a long time.

I slept in until 9:45 am.
I got a pedicure.
I got a "90" minute massage (that was more like 70 minutes).
I went out to eat.
I went to a movie.
I didn't check my work email at all.

Unfortunately, I'm back at work today. I've only had one small moment of uncontrollable stress so far. We'll see how the rest of the day goes.

I'm pretty sure my job is hazardous to my health.

3 comments:

Annie said...

you must have been at the movie when i tried to call you. I was going to see how you are? I guess not that great! Dude, I take mental health days all the time. I actually took one the other week. What did you see. DAn in Real Life is pretty much awesome. i loved it!!!

Anonymous said...

i think everyone needs a relaxing day. maybe like 20 in one year. good for you. take another one soon.

Kitty said...

Steph, I'm so glad you took a day off. I wish I was there to give you a BIG HUG. You are wise to listen to your body and give it a break. XXXOOO