Wednesday, November 03, 2010

my boyfriend's back

It's no secret that I don't hate routine. Routine tucks me in at night and sings a sweet lullaby as I drift off to sleep. (What does that even mean? No one knows.) While 2010 has brought progress in terms of stepping out of my comfort zone, I'm still me.

And one of the things that makes me ME is the fact that sometimes I eat the same thing for lunch. Nearly every day. At one point in time my lunch of convenience choice was Quiznos. I ate there so often that I never had to say what I wanted. In fact, my order was told to me by Quiznos Guy as soon as I stepped up to the counter.

Having a "usual" is a strange mix of awesome and embarrassing.

But I broke up with Quiznos a while ago. So imagine my surprise when I walked into Subway last week with a co-worker and saw Quiznos Guy behind the counter. At Subway. I only had time to mumble, "I know this guy" to my co-worker before I was greeted by his smile.

QG: Hi! How are you?
Me: Good! How are you?
QG: Good. I work here now.
Me: I see that. How long have you been here?
QG: Two weeks.
Me: Great.
[order sandwich]
QG: No tomato, no onion, right?!
Me: Yup.
QG: How was your weekend?

My co-worker, having zero context, just watched in amazement. As we walked away she said, "What just happened?".

Even though I broke up with Quiznos, I didn't have to break up with my sandwich maker. He's learning the Subway version of "the usual" and soon it will be just like old times. It's perfect.

1 comment:

Annie said...

that's awesome!!