Monday, November 22, 2010

identity crisis

Today Seattle got a little confused and thought it was one of those places that has a real winter.
Silly Seattle.

I woke up to big flakes falling.
I'm not going to lie, it made my heart pretty happy. [I happen to love snow.]
I was surprised to see this much snow on the back porch and I gladly rocked my boots, hat, gloves and scarf.
I made it to work without any issues and went about my day. But people kept leaving early [we're talking Noon] because the "roads were bad" and I kept thinking they were making a big deal out of nothing. However, after my final presentation of the day was over at 3:30, it looked to be snowing hard and I thought I'd try to beat the rush and finish out my work from the comfort of my bed home.

To be clear, I left my office at 3:30.

I stood on the bus stop for an hour. It was 28 degrees. I've never been more grateful for boots, a hat, gloves and a scarf in my life. The bus finally showed up, mere seconds after I posted on FB that I would kiss the bus driver if/when the bus finally showed up. I guess the universe just wanted that to happen. [It didn't.] We made it through downtown without incident, other than the fact that the bus was so full that the driver had to stop picking people up.

And then this is where the nightmare began.

We turned onto the street that was going to take us straight on 'til morning and then just stopped moving. The light would go from green, to yellow, to red over and over and we moved inches each time.

It was maddening.

And then I began to think about how I was stuck and it's possible that a smidgen of claustrophobia set in. It was now close to 5:30pm and it was in the midst of those thoughts that I wrote this.
But instead of losing my mind, I decided to turn on some Sufjan Stevens Christmas and take a little nap. It was helpful, but when I woke up 20 minutes later, I found myself nearly in the same spot. Not ideal.

My bus driver eventually got into the left lane, which was the most brilliant idea he's ever had [I'm sure of it] and we started covering more ground. We finally passed the road that led to the freeway and from then on we didn't have to worry about traffic, just icy roads. I'll take it.

After a snowy hike through the neighborhood, I ended up walking through my front door at 7:00pm.  I was very grateful to be home and feeling bad for the people still still on the freeway for several hours after that.

Before I crawled into bed tonight, this was the view from my front door.
Looks like I'm working from home tomorrow.
And it also looks like Seattle hasn't learned it's lesson from the 2008 debacle.

---------------------------------------------------
In other news, this guy was preaching on the corner while I waited for the bus.
He appeared to be preaching from the dictionary. That's a new approach.

No comments: