Thursday, November 25, 2010

after the storm

So, we've already established that the city of Seattle does not know how to deal with storms. For evidence, look no further than my 3.5 hour commute home on the bus and SB's nightmare of being trapped on the freeway, covering 6 miles in 7 hours. SEVEN HOURS, people.

I decided before I went to bed on Monday night that there was no way I was going to the office the next day. So I didn't. I stayed in sweats and worked from my bed all day. It was much more productive than it sounds. In the evening, after receiving reports that the roads still weren't awesome, I decided to continue my time in my bed and read a book. The entire book.

Wednesday morning rolled around and I knew our offices were closing early, so I decided that since working from home had been successful on Tuesday, I would do it again. And by "from home" I mean "from bed".

But you guys, by mid-day I was going crazy. I had spent 42 hours in my house and I was dying to get out.

The first step to freedom was cleaning off the car.
So I prepared.
Hoodie. Coat. Gloves. Boots.
*Please note that I didn't change out of the sweat pants. Hot.

I had realized that the scraper was INSIDE the car, which was covered in the snow I was going out to remove, so I improvised with a cookie sheet. I'm brilliant. There, I said it.
As it turns out, my gloves were made more for looking cute and less for protecting from wet/cold, but my cookie sheet-shovel idea did the trick and my car was clean in no time.
I backed down my steep, narrow, snow-covered driveway without crashing into any cars at the bottom, which was my one goal.

From this experience I learned two things:
1. 44 consecutive hours indoors is too much.
2. Cookie sheets can double as snow removal devices.

Noted.

And just for funsies, here is some footage of a street in Seattle from Monday night.

1 comment:

Kitty said...

They need to get some salt on those roads. No way I'd be out in that. That is sooo scary!!