Monday, August 16, 2010

Scootsie

Well, Summer decided to show up in Seattle again. And it's HOT. I know 92 degrees doesn't seem very hot to some of you, like my sister who lives in Arizona where it's supposed to be 104 degrees tomorrow, but 92 degrees and (what seems like) not a single house in the city with air conditioning makes for a slightly uncomfortable time.

Regardless of how uncomfortable it is, you have to make the most of the sunny days to stock up for the inevitable hibernation of the sun. If you're looking for any ideas, might I suggest this one?
Yes, those are scooters. Scootsies, as I lovingly called them.
(Yes, that is a photo of a photo*.)
And yes, we rode those scootsies around Bainbridge Island.
It was so. much. fun.
So much.

I won't lie. I was nervous. That's just how I roll.

On the ferry over to the island my nervousness was at a 6. Maybe a 7.

Then we got there. And I saw the scootsies. And I put on that helmet (as if I needed my head to look any bigger) and tried to look like it was nbd, but I was at about a 9.4 on the nervous scale.

In the spirit of not letting myself scare myself out of doing things I want to do, I just got on my scootsie and went for it. I'm so glad I did, because everything about it was wonderful.

Some highlights:
The island was beautiful. We rode like the wind for nearly 3 hours. I felt like I was on Dumb & Dumber. I didn't crash. Beautiful view of the city. So much water! Hopping on weird logs sticking of the water. An abandoned, graffiti'd mill of some sort where we met a nice graffiti artist doing his thing. Walking out into the water that was so cold my feet went numb. Adam and Cassie stripping down to the least amount of clothing they could (while remaining appropriate) and jumping into the water. Adam's attire for the remainder of the ride. So many trees. Quiet back roads. This boat.

And did I mention that I didn't crash? Bonus.

So, Scootsie, I had a really great day. We should do this again sometime. Call me.


PS:
Cassie has never been happier.
Adam looks like a cop.

*We documented with much better photos, I just don't have them. Yet.

No comments: