Wednesday, June 09, 2010

The Reunion: A Recap

So, the reunion. Any time anyone asks me about it the first word that comes to mind (and out of my mouth) is awkward. And then I have to ask myself, Did you really expect something other than awkward? No. And yes.

But first...

The day began with some of my HS girlfriends getting together for lunch. I always make it a point to see as many people as I can when I come home, but sadly we hadn't had more than a few of us together in one place in a long time.

It's always amazing to me how quickly we just fall into comfortable conversation, as if it's just another day and we're meeting in B lunch. But instead of talking about our Spanish homework and what we overheard in the hallway, we chatted about husbands, jobs and kids.
If I'm being honest, I would say that that day could have ended there. That time with those girls was really the point of me coming home.

But it didn't end there and we moved the party to The Shark Club.

A few things:
1. Before I left Seattle I was provided with a custom-made bingo card for the night. (Try and tell me this isn't brilliant.)
My two goals were to get a blackout and photographic evidence of each square. Sadly, I failed to accomplish either goal but I did get a picture of some sweet white sneakers.
 This picture leads me to my next point.

2. I was worried about what I was going to wear. WHY? I should have known everyone would be in jeans, but I insisted on wearing a dress. And heels.

3. The awkwardness came down to this: We all know how we're supposed to talk to people we don't know. We can hate it, we can be bad at it, but at least we know how it's all supposed to go down. What I'm not so familiar with is how to talk to people I'm supposed to know, but no longer do. It was trickier than I expected.

4. I tried to ease the awarkdness by talking about how awkward it all was. If nothing else, it was an ice breaker.


5. I made a point not to sit down all night. I was forcing myself to approach people and wanted to be approachable. I think this strategy worked fairly well and I was a little proud of keeping myself out of my comfort zone.

6. The person I chatted with the longest was a guy I hadn't talked to since elementary school. Random.

7. I tried to convince every person I talked to that they should move to Seattle. I have no idea why. I think because everyone's first reaction was, Oh, doesn't it just rain SO MUCH there? Which then led to me setting the record straight about the weather, explaining how amazing a Seattle summer is and wrapping it all up with an invitation to move there.

8. Everyone looked the same. A few were a little slimmer, most were a little bigger, but still just the same.

9. In a survey of, oh, six people, it was decided that I had changed the most out of our group of friends. Apparently I am "foxy". I'm pretty sure the only difference is that I now wear clothes that fit me instead of clothes that are three sizes too big. Whatevs.

10. We ate at Big Boy after. The definition of classy. Let me tell you, that chicken sandwich has never tasted so good.


11. Laying in bed, at midnight, recapping the evening, I was told that I seem more confident now. I would hope that would be the case.
In the end, some expectations were exceeded, some weren't met at all, but I was glad I went.

PS - Can you spot the Mormons in this picture?

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I agree, we could have ended the day after lunch at Jenny's. But then, we just never would have known what a 10 year reunion is like, would we?