Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Let's Try Being an Adult

How is it possible for a person to sleep through three alarms?
I will never understand how it happens, but this I know for sure: IT DOES.

Other Things I Know:
1. Every word to Gangsta's Paradise.
2. How many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop.
2. You never want to wake up on a Tuesday morning to your roommate peeking into your bedroom and saying, Don't you have to go to work today? at 10:00 am.

Yes. Ten o'clock.

The events that followed are a little fuzzy, but I think they included jumping out of bed, grabbing my phone and checking my calendar to see what meetings I had missed (thankfully, none), emailing my immediate teammates telling them I'd be a little late (obviously), taking a shower like I was competing in some kind of race and repeatedly (and randomly) shouting to my roommate from the bathroom about how "I can't believe this happened!".

Sidenote: Really? You can't believe this happened? Because I'm pretty sure it happens at least once a month.

When I checked my calendar in my initial panic I noted that my first meeting of the day was at 11:00. I had one hour. I could do that. So you can imagine my surprise when, at 10:15, my phone beeped and flashed a 15 minute reminder for a meeting with MY BOSS AND MY BOSS'S BOSS.

At 10:15 I was in my bathroom in Wallingford, in my pj's, with mousse in my hands (not even in my hair yet) and no make-up on. And I was somehow I was supposed to make it to my office for a 10:30 meeting that had apparently just been scheduled with the bosses (!).

Sidenote: I've worked at this company for over two years and have never once had a personal meeting with the boss's boss. Of course they picked the day I'm going to be three hours late to spring a last minute meeting on me.

I emailed and said I was "running a little late" and asked if the meeting could be pushed back at all. I received a response that, yes, the meeting could be pushed back. Pushed back 15 whole minutes.

Let's just say I've never gotten ready so fast in my life.

It resulted in me looking like a homeless person for the rest of the day, but it had to be done. It also resulted in me breaking a lot of traffic laws on my way to the office and nearly ramming (repeatedly) a PT Cruiser that I had to follow up FIVE LEVELS of the parking garage going what felt like 5 MPH.

In the end I was one minute late. And because I'm me and I like to bring awkwardness upon myself, I made a joke about how the one day (cough, cough) I'm late is the one day they set up this meeting, blah, blah, blah and then they joked about handing me a pink slip.

Funny.

Yet also not.

In the end there was no pink slip and only good news.
But it was an adventurous morning.

2 comments:

The StaceNeedle said...

shoot.

ps. you posted this at 12am.

Kitty said...

Sounds like a nightmare to me!! Are your alarm clocks across the room? If not, maybe that would help. Glad it was good news in the end :)