Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Curtsy

A week or so ago I was being introduced to my new team at work. They called a meeting to make the announcement and then wanted me to walk in five minutes late to meet everyone.

Awkward, but sure.

So, I waited 8 minutes (duh.) and walked into the conference room. All eyes turned to me (and if you know me you know my thoughts on being the center of attention) as my manager said, "And this is Stephanie".

And then the room erupted into applause.

My first response to the applause? CURTSY. So I did.

Inner dialogue: What are you doing?! Don't curtsy! These people don't know you. They don't know your sense of humor. They could think you're completely serious right now. Crap. They totally think you're serious. Dude, was your first response really to curtsy? Have you ever actually curtsied before? They all think you're an idiot. Just sit down. And don't make eye contact.

The good news is that my curtsy was not met by blank stares and crickets chirping, but by hearty laughter.

Crisis averted.

5 comments:

Amy North said...

If I'm looking at this right, and I like to think that I am, I am sure your curtsy was completely adorable. I can picture it now. Although in my version, you're wearing bloomers for some reason. Hmmm...

sarahwithanh said...

SO cute! I love it!!

Miss C said...

Hearty laughter? That's it? I would have given you a standing ovation accompanied with a crescendoed applause. But that's just me. Next time you walk into a room, I'm gonna do it, just you wait.

stephanielynn said...

Funny thing...I WAS wearing bloomers. That's just how I roll.

Cara, this is why I love you. And I'm looking forward to it.

Kitty said...

Love you, Steph! Good luck with your new assignment!!