Sunday, April 11, 2010

Whip It*

Okay, I'm just going to cut to the chase: I went to the roller derby and it was simply amazing.

My only exposure to roller derby was the movie Whip It and I had low expectations for what I was about to experience. I'm happy to report that all of my expectations were exceeded. In fact, I would even go as far as to say that, had you seen me during the two hours I was there, you would have seen what true joy looks like. This was evidenced by me, in one of the quieter moments, randomly shouting, "I'm so happy right now!!!".  True story.
Don't ask me to explain what I loved so much about it because I don't really know. Maybe it was the fact that they were on roller skates. Maybe it was because I wish I was as tough as some of those girls. Or maybe it was because many of them aren't typical "athletes" but they have found something they're good at and are owning it. Whatever the reason, it won me over and I turned into the type of spectator I am when I'm watching the Pistons play. Just a lot of clapping and yelling going on. A lot.

Through the course of the night we discussed what our derby names would be. Here are two suggestions for mine and please keep in mind these names are supposed to make you sound super tough:

HASN'T SHOWARD (You know, s. howard? Get it?)
STEPHANIE HOW-NOW-BROWN-COW

Pretty intimidating, right? Or the opposite.

In other news, my favorite moment of the weekend was when LJL said, while holding a baby, "Babies love me" and then the baby immediately threw up ALL OVER her. It was possibly the most I've ever seen a baby puke at one time and you'd be correct if you assumed that I laughed the entire time I was getting her napkins to clean it up. But at least I actually got her the napkins, which is more than I can say for her that time the bird poo'd on my foot.

An honorable mention moment of the weekend was when I asked if anyone knew how to do magic so that I wouldn't actually have to work on a project that is due tomorrow and PB thought about it for a moment and then responded with, "Ok, here's a list of people I think would know magic out of our three wards". Sadly, the list was decently long.

But roller derby. It's a good time. A real good time.

*Was there really any other option for the title of this post?

2 comments:

Lindsay Jane said...

Good times...even when that baby that loved me threw up a second time on me. May 1st here we come.

The StaceNeedle said...

Ya, really a great night. Maybe I was half asleep through a lot of it, but I remember some pretty great moments that included you shouting choice words with a smile of pure glee on your face. I love a happy Showard!