Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Six Hours

I'm about to share an insight into my personal hygiene that might be too much for some to handle. Consider yourself warned.

I don't floss.

Well, up until a month ago I didn't floss. (Unless, of course, it was two days before a dentist appointment. Which makes zero sense. If a dentist could be fooled into thinking you floss regularly just by flossing two days before an appointment then it wouldn't be necessary to floss daily, right?) But one day I decided that I wanted to join the ranks of those, most likely made up of dentists and dental hygienists, who floss daily.

So, I made it a goal. I got ambitious and had a little goal-setting session with myself and guess what was the first on the list--that's right, "floss daily". It's actually written on my list of current goals. Ellen DeGeneres told me that if I write it down, it will happen. She was right.

It's been a over a month now and I've been surprisingly consistent. But every night, as I'm going through the motions with no real conviction to the cause, I think about how great life used to be when I could just brush my teeth and climb into bed guilt free.

I figure it takes roughly one minute to floss, so over the next year I will spend six hours flossing my teeth. Six hours that could be spent watching TV a little longer or checking PerezHilton.com one more time or reading one more blog - you know, the really important stuff in life.

Doesn't seem so insignificant now, does it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well good for you that you stuck to your list. i have a MILLION list! tons! in my journal, on small pieces of paper, in notebooks...everywhere. i STILL do not do them. i do it for one day, then i stop. what's the matter with me? writing it down for me doesn't work.

i do do cleaning list and grocery list and paying bills list. but not personal things to improve myself.