Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Broken Filter

Last weekend I went to my favorite nail salon for a mani/pedi. After I arrived and picked out my color I was called over to my chair by the "new girl". Apparently it was only her second day there. Lucky me.

Not only was it the worst mani/pedi I've ever gotten, but we actually had this conversation:

As she's massaging (read: barely touching) my leg she points to two quarter-size bruises near my knee and looks up at me.

Me: Oh yeah...I don't know where those came from.
New Girl: Hmmm. Your boyfriend did it?
Me: Ummm...(awkward laughter)...no, I think I just bumped it on something. I bruise really easily.

I glanced over at Lindsay to make sure she had caught the conversation. She had. Let me break this down for you.

1. I don't have a boyfriend that beats me.
2. Why would she automatically assume that just because I have a bruise that it came from my boyfriend?
3. If my boyfriend did beat me, you, new girl, would not be the person I would confide in.
4. If I were to confide in someone at the nail salon it would be Tracy the best acrylic nail tech ever, or Kim my eyebrow waxer, or Lani my favorite pedicure lady. Not you, sucky new girl. Not you.

During the course of my visit she also told me how she doesn't like to wear a lot of clothes because they make her look fat and that she broke her cell phone because she threw it against the wall while fighting with her boyfriend.

New Girl's got issues and I will be avoiding her at all costs.

3 comments:

HC said...

That sucks. &how weird is that?

Anonymous said...

what!? crazy. and if you did have a boyfriend who hit you, i'm sure he aims for your legs. so no one would ever know.

cds said...

simply amazing. my favorite line: "Not you, sucky new girl. Not you."

you are awesome.