Monday, August 29, 2011

needs more mud.

In early July I ran the Dirty Dash and I don't know what came over me when I decided to sign up for it  because:

1. I don't like to run
2. I also dislike being dirty

So, it makes perfect sense that I would sign up for a 10k run (which could not have been more than a 5k based on the lack of time it took us) where I had to crawl through mud and other obstacles, right? Right. That's the power of Groupon, folks. Groupon and Natalie telling me that if it ever came to Seattle I needed to do it.

Of course I was totally nervous leading up to it and I informed my teammates on the car ride down that should I end up stuck in a mud pit somewhere, they should just leave me behind. Save yourselves! They reassured me that I would not die during this race.

Here we are pre-race (minus LH). Yes, I know I'm standing awkwardly far away from CK. I blame the nerves.

The race started with us running up a dirt mound and sliding down the other side. Insta-dirty. Other obstacles included rolling through muddy water under some tubes, climbing over wooden walls, jumping over massive tires, more mud pits, more wooden walls, crawling through tubes on our hands and knees, sliding down a massive blow up slide and finally wading through a knee deep "pond" to cross the finish line.

Blow up slide.

I won't deny the fact that I had to talk myself into getting dirty at first. My natural instinct was to run around the pit of muddy water instead of rolling through it. It's just something I usually avoid. But that was half the fun of it, so we did what we had to to makes sure we were covered in mud.

Our group post blow up slide, pre-wading through the final pond.


Notice how I'm just slightly less dirty than CK? No matter how hard I tried I couldn't convince myself that I wanted mud on my face. Maybe next time.


Official Dirty Dash photo. Post-race.

I only ended up bleeding in two places, but the next day when I went to get in the shower I found some of the worst bruises on my ribs and hip bones that I've ever had. Remember that tiny, baby moment when I thought there was internal bleeding? Yeah.

I guess it's not as fun if you don't have battle wounds to show for it.

No comments: