Monday, August 29, 2011

the time utah almost convinced me to move back.

I spent last weekend in Utah, and had the most fun I've had there in a long time. I don't know if it was my mental state prior to arrival or the fact that Seattle hasn't gotten the memo about summer or if it was something else, but it was a perfect weekend. There's nothing about it I would have changed.

The weekend involved the following:
  • Staying at Em's house. She loves robots and the number five and is a great hostess.
  • A four(ish) hour visit with one of my college roommates, Audrey. She has three adorable children, including one that I met for the first time. I wasn't feeling 100% while I was there and stopped in the middle of our conversation and said, "I just need to lie on the floor". She thought nothing of it and we just kept chatting away - her on the couch and me on the floor.
  • Two things as a follow-up to that 1) I love how there are people who you always feel comfortable with even after not seeing each other for a while and 2) I love that I have people in my life who love me for me and don't bat an eye at the fact that I stopped our conversation and crawled onto the floor.
  • I bought eye patches for my nephew's third birthday pirate party.
  • Ate at Cafe Rio.
  • Bought my nephew a sweet dino toy that he called a dragon. To be fair, it was only a "dragon" when it had armor on but when he removed the armor it was a dinosaur. It was a hit.

  • Attended the aforementioned pirate party dressed in my best pirate gear, which was really just an eye patch.
  • I had my first experience with a dance game on the Kinect. The highlight was my nephew dancing to "Hey Mami, You Sexy", to which he did surprisingly well, and then afterward walking up to his mom and repeating the words to the song. Except his version sounded more like "Hey Mami,  you lexy".
  • Shopping in Park City.
  • Buying a 1 Terabyte external hard drive. That should do it.
  • Chips, salsa, Diet Coke and molten lava cake from Chili's. Dinner of champions.
  • Seeing The Help. It's worth it. I cried at least four times - as in wiping away tears, not just getting misty-eyed.
  • Nightly midnight snack of the fry/frosty combo.
  • Attending church with the family while wearing a dress with the zipper halfway open. The zipper got stuck and there was no fixing it.What's a girl to do?
  • Falling in love with my nephew, Bruiser. (Is that still what we're calling him on the internets?) He is SO, SO adorable. Just imagine this: a nearly one year old, blue-eyed, smiling, chubby-cheeked, middle two finger sucking baby. With pirate tattoos. Ugh. Love him.
  • I attended my first concert at Red Butte. It was the perfect summer evening: Stars. Crickets. Live music (Brandi Carlile). A crowd that danced and sang along. Good friends/family. 
  •  Stopping to see Tatum and her family on my way to the airport. It was rushed, but it's always so good to see them.
  • Nearly missing my flight due to a crazy security line. But even being nearly the last person on the plane, I still got an aisle seat. High five.
It was a much needed and perfectly timed break from life.

    1 comment:

    Annie said...

    It was good times :)