Monday, June 13, 2011

hidden treasures.

I've been meaning to simplify my life for some time now. Simplify in many ways really, but specifically by ridding myself of things. stuff. clutter. And with a move quickly approaching, I took some time over the long Memorial Day weekend to do just that.

The first stop was the garage. I always think I don't have that much stuff, because nothing in this house belongs to me except what's in my bedroom. Then I remember that I have a garage full of boxes. And who knows how many of those are mine.

Well, now I can tell you. Three. Three of those boxes are mine.
But it took some purging to get there.

I went through every box and threw things away, with Lindsay again being the voice of reason telling me when I was holding on to something I shouldn't. Except this time she didn't even attempt to make me throw out my jersey/sweatpants combo. She already lost that battle once. No need to lose again.

I took a picture of a few hidden treasures I found.

I'd like to introduce you all to Digby. Digby the dog, who I believe had a brother name Dexter.
But that's not the point.

My middle school bestie, Nikki, and I were given matching stuffed dogs for Christmas by a friend-boy. We both loved those stupid dogs. I mean, obviously I loved it because I'm 28 and he was still in my possession (albeit in a box in my garage).
Friends, I hate to tell you this way, but Digby is no longer with us.

I also happened upon my very first cell phone. I even pulled up the antenna for the picture to give the full effect. You're welcome.
That phone was killer. The back lighting was bright blue. And when it rang a picture of a phone showed up on the screen and it was animated. ANIMATION!

A Costco bin of tennis balls that Lindsay has tried to make me get rid of for three years.
For the record, I still have them.
In SLC Lindsay and I had this grand idea that we were going to start playing tennis together. I think she even bought a racket. I know what you want to ask and the answer is no.
We never played.
However, after the purchase my brother, Geoff, and I played every week for a while. "A while" might mean "two weeks", I can't remember.

And last, but certainly not least, formal dresses.
WHY did I keep these?!?
It's a question for which I just don't have an answer.

I tried them on over my clothes. And took photos. Duh.

First up, senior prom. A mint green beauty. The dress came with spaghetti straps, but that was obviously immodest.
So we made it into a halter.
Because clearly a halter is the more modest route...
Next up, bridesmaid dress.
There's nothing clever to say about it, it's just not something I'd ever wear. Unless I moved back to Utah where wearing shirts under strapless dresses is acceptable.

And as you can see, I decided to get fancy with this pose. [Please note the left foot. Fancy.]

I also went through College In a Box and threw 99% of it away. I can't explain to you why I thought I would ever dig through that box to find old notes from [insert college class name here].

And the Goodwill is pret-ty lucky because they also got my collection of romantic comedies. On VHS.

I still have a closet that needs to be de-cluttered, but as it turns out, I'm not moving. Soooo, who knows when that will happen.

4 comments:

Kitty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Annie said...

oh. digs...I remember you used to sleep with him:)

Lindsay Jane said...

Good work. But don't for get college in a box was really High School and college in a box. Wow!

Kitty said...

Good for you. Definitely lost perspective with that prom dress :)