Thursday, March 11, 2010

Well, That Was Awkward

My life is full of awkward moments. Some are truly awkward and some are only awkward in my mind. Two recent examples:

The Wave
I've been wearing a pair of gloves I received for Christmas in the car on the way to work to keep my fingers from falling off before I get there. (PS-There's a reason I don't turn on the heat.) I mean, the internet is kind of my job which requires a lot of typing and clicking and without fingers it would be a little bit challenging. The gloves are the fingerless kind that have a mitten part that can either fold down over the top (to create a full mitten) or can be fastened back to leave your fingers free.

Yesterday I was waiting to turn onto a decently busy road and a nice man decided to let me in. I reached up my hand to give him the "thank you" wave and as I did so, I realized I had the mitten part folded down and was waving with a mittened hand.

I laughed to myself as I drove away, wondering if that dude even noticed a grown woman had just waved at him with a mittened hand.


The Elevator
There was a man at my lunch location making super strange noises. I really wanted to tell someone the story, but the noises would not translate through text, which is my most commonly used mid-day form of communication. So as I was walking back to work I gave a friend a call so I could recreate the sounds. She liked my story but had a funny story of her own to tell (always trying to one-up me). As I stepped into the elevator she was reaching the high point of the story and I lost it.

I was laughing kind of uncontrollably, while on the phone, in an elevator, with ONE other person.

I couldn't stop. And it was embarrassing. But I also kind of loved the story of this awkward moment and pretty much told it to everyone I came in contact with the rest of the day.

Including you, good readers of this blog.

No comments: