Tuesday, March 09, 2010

The Bus

When I moved to Seattle I knew I was going to have to start taking the bus. The thought brought on flashbacks of living in Provo and the nine months, post-graduation but pre-real job/car purchase, of busing to the PTC every day.

After starting my new job in Seattle it took me a full month to start taking the bus. I wasn't sure if the bus was different here or where my stop was and Chats McGee didn't help matters when he told me it was very confusing to know whether or not to pay when you got on or when you got off.

I was in a new city, at a new job and it was just a little too much for me.

So in true Stephanie style, I took the easy way out. I drove to work every day and paid $12 every day to park. One month and $240 later, I decided it was time for the bus. As it turns out, the bus stop was a block from my house, I flashed my badge when I got on in the morning and in the evening I didn't have to show it until I was getting off. Simple.

Money saved. Naps taken. Blogging material generated. And [insert something about the environment here]. The bus is good.

Well, here I am again in a bit of the same situation. I'm not in a new city, but I am in a new location within the city. And I've been avoiding the bus because I'm nervous. I feel like taking a new bus route is kind of like being the new kid at school. Everyone knows I'm not supposed to be there.

In my defense, last week was out of the ordinary and I was going to work early and staying late so taking the bus wouldn't have been ideal. And Monday I had a big presentation at 9am. I'm smart enough to know that testing out a new bus on a 9am presentation day is not wise.

But it's Tuesday. And I no longer have an excuse.

Tonight I researched routes and there is a 50/50 chance I'll actually take the bus tomorrow.

Want to place any bets?

No comments: