Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Lurks McGee

Confession. I lurk on blogs. I'm a straight up blog lurker.

There, I said it. It feels good to get that out there.

You see, sometimes your friends have friends that you've never met. But you hear stories about these other friends from your actual friend and you end up feeling like you know them a little bit. Then you see these names of the other friends linked on your actual friend's blog and, since you feel like you know them already, you click on it and read. (cough*every day*cough) The end result being that you feel like you know them even more than before, when in reality you still have never met them.

Where it gets tricky (and slightly creepy) is when your actual friend's other friends write about THEIR friends and the cycle starts all over again. The friend of the friend of the friend has a link and you click on that and start reading. And it spirals out of control.

Another form of lurking (that I frequently participate in) is when you actually know the person but you've never commented so they may not realize that you're reading. (cough*every day*cough)

The point of this confession: Last week I posted my first ever lurker comment. The friend of the friend of the friend wrote a post about seeing Michael Buble in NYC--what was I supposed to do? It's no secret that I'm 100% obsessed with MB. So, I did it.

And this is how I started it:
So...I'll start off by saying that I don't know you and you don't me and I'm sorry if it's creepy that I'm commenting on/reading your blog.

It probably made it even more creepy that I acknowledged how creepy it really was. Oopsy daisy.

Anyway, I don't have any intention of stopping. I will lurk and lurk to my heart's content.

8 comments:

NatAttack said...

Oh. My. Gosh.

I laughed and laughed and laughed when I read this blog of yours. I can trace the steps you made in logic and it cracked me right up.

LOVE IT!

stephanielynn said...

It's true, right? Everyone does it. (At least that's what I'll keep telling myself.)

Danny K. said...

And then blogging about it on your blog - takes it to a whole other level.

stephanielynn said...

Danny, why are you always raining on my parade?

Lindsay Jane said...

Steph, don't worry....everyone's doing it.

Annie said...

yeah, man I do it...but would you think otherwise

Anonymous said...

Hi, you don't know me. But I've been lurking on your blog for quite some time. I see that you are a fan of my music and I just wanted to say that I am too. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Hi. We don't know eachother...and I actually have no idea how I found your blog, but is that Michael Buble comment legit? Because I just choked on my M&M when I read that.