Saturday, April 09, 2011

do-do-do

Here are some things you may or may not know about me.

NUMBER ONE
It could be said that I'm shy.
Is shy the right word? Maybe more like utterly-afraid-of-making-a-fool-of-myself-in-any-way.
Or something like that.
So, I have that fear and I often let it rule my life. (Please see Do Hard Things here.)

NUMBER TWO
I like music.
I like to sing in the shower, in my car, while I'm cleaning the house and I wish, nearly every day, that I could sing out loud at my desk at work.
What I don't like to do is sing in front of other people.
(At least not when they're paying attention.)
But I have a couple musically inclined friends that have taken it upon themselves to become my musical cheerleaders and have been trying to get me to sing when I know people are paying attention.
One might even use the word perform.

SU is one of those people. And she's a tricky one.
Oh, hey, I just wrote this new song. Want to hear it? And it just so happens that there is a harmony part. Want to learn that and we can sing it together just for funsies? Did I mention that by "just for funsies" I really meant "on stage at some open mics and possibly even shows I book"?

I mean, that might be a slight exaggeration, but that's basically how it went down.

SU does open mics every week and, in a moment of temporary insanity, I had made a goal for myself to join her on stage within the first two weeks of April. Wednesday became that day. The good news is that I didn't trip, pass out, vomit, stop breathing or mess up the words. In fact, it ended up being a lot of fun and she got some good feedback. She invited me to join her again on Thursday and I figured that while I was feeling brave, I might as well have at it.

When I told people what had happened, one person said, "I need proof". Which is really a legit request considering points #1 and #2 outlined above.

So, I give you The Proof.
For the record, I thought Wednesday went better than Thursday, but alas, Wednesday has no shareable proof.



Who knows? Maybe I'll do it again.

7 comments:

Yo said...

Ah!! This is SO great Steph!!!! Your voice is beautiful!

NatAttack said...

you did it!! GOOD JOB!

Kitty said...

That was great, Steph!! Loved it!!

Amy North said...

This makes me love you even more. You ROCKED!!! Way to break out of your shell and share your gorgeous voice with the world. I'm so proud!!!! :*)

Sarah said...

um, yes! You should do it again! It was great. I had no idea you had such a good voice. Scary- I could never do that. Way to be brave!

Sarah said...

Oh my gosh, Steph, you are so brave, and that was gorgeous! I wouldn't even do that, and remember how I was always the one who had to do things with any potential for embarassment whatsoever? Like buy those goofy christmas hats your mom sent us out to get for the elders? Love you!

Anonymous said...

you were AWESOME!!! i could never do that. no one would ever want me to in the first place. i've been made fun of way too much. i wish i could sing my little heart out.

you did so good!! do more! you are SO talented!