Thursday, April 21, 2011

sick.

I'm sick.
I somehow escaped the plague that inflicted my roommate not once, but twice (maybe even three times) and yet my body just couldn't handle going from 50 degree weather to getting all kinds of sweaty in the near 100 degree heat last weekend. By Sunday night my throat was on fire, which I attributed to all the second hand smoke I had been inhaling all weekend, but by Monday evening when I was back in Seattle and felt as though I had been hit by a truck, I had to admit defeat.
I was sick.

So, for the past three days I've been locked up in this house doing whatever it is you do when you're sick. Here are a few observations/thoughts:
  • I hate blowing my nose. I have no idea why, but it's a fact. Today I have filled an entire waste basket with tissues. So yeah, I pretty much hate life right now.
  • In related news, I now understand why people want tissues with aloe. TOTALLY GET IT.
  • I've reacquainted myself with my very girlie collection of DVDs. So far I have watched:
    • Tangled
    • She's the Man (much more funny when watched with any member of my family)
    • Pride & Prejudice (the new version and this Mr. Darcy is slowly growing on me)
    • Fools Rush In (I can still quote nearly the entire thing)
    • You've Got Mail (also very quotable)
    • And right now I'm in the middle of The Notebook (I fast forward through the old people parts) and next up is Sense and Sensibility.
  • A person can only live on OJ, toast and Popsicles for so long.
  • NyQuil doesn't knock me out. In fact, every night that I've taken it I've woken up in the middle of the night (usually due to a coughing fit) and end up lying there wide awake.
  • Cough attacks in the middle of the night are the worst.
  • Sleeping slightly propped up to avoid a coughing fit is tied for the worst. Who wants to sleep on their back all night? Not me.
  • I've gotten roughly 11 hours of sleep a night for the past three nights. And yet I can still take a mid-day nap. SLEEPING CHAMPION.
  •  I've showered two of the three days I've been home sick. I feel like I should get an award for that.
  • One roommate currently has a burning throat. It all downhill for her from here. I feel guilt.
  • I have to fall asleep every night with a cough drop in my mouth. Bless whoever invented these things.
  • I just realized that my cough drops have motivational quotes on the wrapper and now I'm totally inspired:
    • Nothing you can't handle.
    • Go for it.
    • You can do it and you know it.
    • Buckle down and push forth!
    • Put your game face on.
Oh, my game face is on. And tomorrow I'm going to will myself back into health.
I'll let you know how that goes.

No comments: