Thursday, January 13, 2011

"when other friendships have been forgot, ours will still be hot!"

Here's the thing: I don't accept co-workers as friends on FB.

After moving to Seattle I accepted a few co-worker friend requests, most likely because I was new and too nervous not to. But I soon determined that I was going to keep work life more separate from personal life than I had at my last job and made the decision to accept no more.

I only had to decline a few requests for the first 2.5 years (Question: Should I be asking myself why more co-workers didn't want to be FB friends with me? Answer: I don't care.) It just wasn't an issue.

Until I switched clients.

The friend requests came rolling in and I panicked. I didn't decline them but I didn't accept them. They just sat there. And that seemed to be working.

Until one day I got called out.

You see, apparently if someone is awaiting acceptance of a friend request certain actions show up in each other's newsfeeds. For example, changing a profile picture. And I had just changed my profile picture, which showed up in the newsfeed of the co-worker awaiting acceptance, which drew her attention to the fact that I had never accepted her request.

Busted.

"So, why do you hate me?", she randomly called out over the cubicle wall.
"Yeah...not really sure what you're talking about.", I replied.
"You won't accept my Facebook friend request, so clearly you must hate me."

And since then my FB rule as become a "thing".

Today I was sent this and had the following IM conversation:
CW: This is funny given your FB shyness.
Me: If I had access to your wall, I would post this there.

Look, I just want to update my status in peace. Is that so wrong?

4 comments:

Kenn N said...

I find it amusing how FB has become so standard in the world... I have declined people and removed people and been called out, and I always find it amusing.

In fact, I had a co-worker who after she left the company I removed her from my friend list and she asked another co-worker about it, who than asked me. I think for some it's awkward, but I stand by my decisions.

If your self-esteem follows closely to the number of friends you have on FB you have bigger problems than I can help you with.

lynsey said...

just for this post, i am totally now friend requesting you! i figured i should anyway because even though i've only met you a couple of times in person, i sure like you.

and i figure, let the chips fall where they may. :)


p.s. it's like we're FB friends already...we watched felicity reruns on the same weekend! ben....sigh.

Annie said...

That is my rule too...for full timers at least. I have added students employees.

Anonymous said...

i guess it has come down to creating a whole other FB account of bland, blah, non updating status' for co-workers to not feel left out.

no? they can get over it.