Monday, January 10, 2011

karma

I should have known that after spending at least 30 minutes the other night watching YouTube videos of people falling down and laughing ourselves into tears that I should watch my back.

This morning I woke up early to try to get a jump on the week (Shocking, I know.). As usual, I was running a little late but there was no way I was going to let the extra effort of dragging myself out of bed go to waste so I gathered up all my things and rushed out the door. It's been cold here. Really cold. And last night the front steps were already a little slick. Clearly my early morning brain did not remember this fact as I rushed down the steps.

Or at least I started to rush down the steps.

And then I found myself sitting on the steps with my left leg bent strangely underneath me and my right hand sitting in a puddle of water.

I was stunned. It all happened so quickly and it was like I couldn't comprehend what had just taken place. (And now I know how sweet little Channing felt as she crawled out from underneath the rubble looking so disoriented.) So, I just stood up, looked around to see if anyone saw me and hurried off. I mean, I still needed to catch that bus.

But I couldn't just let this event go unshared, so I sent a text to the roommate.

Me: Warning. Front steps are very slick. Just ate it.

CC: OMG! I thought I heard you leave but not take all the stairs. Just heard a thud and then silence but then no screaming. Hope you are ok! Happy Monday!

Me: Yup, just one thud and then I was stepping onto the sidewalk. Like magic. No time to assess the damage, there was a bus to catch!

CC: Dude, so sorry. Only up from here.

AND THEN EIGHT HOURS LATER...

CC: I'm really sorry but I forgot to tell you that when I got your text this morning I just laughed my face off. I'm still thinking about your slip...and laughing. Hope your day got better.


At least she added the part about hoping my day got better. And it did make for a good story for all of my co-workers. So, there's that.

I feel like Channing and I have a special bond.

1 comment:

Annie said...

I have had a few of those moments...That is the thing to do...get up look, make sure no one saw you, and then get on with it...I laughed as well when I imagined what you looked like on your stairs :) Hope you have no battle wounds!