Sunday, December 12, 2010

we're the great lakes state, let's celebrate

Last night I was at a Christmas party of sorts and decided I needed some dessert in my life. Remembering that there were sugar cookies to be had I went to the table and found that only one was left AND it was the shape of a mitten.

I think I probably shouted for joy (you know, because I got the last cookie) and said something like, "There's one left! And the shape is very fitting."

The response I got? A quizzical look and "Why? Because you wear mittens all the time?"

"Well, no. Because I'm from Michigan", I replied.

[Blank stare.]

You guys. He didn't know Michigan was shaped like a mitten.

Having my mind blown by this, I of course went on to ask several other people if they knew what the shape of Michigan resembled. Three other people, actually.

NO ONE ELSE KNEW EITHER.

I get that I might be a little biased because I lived there for 17 years and all, but I'm pretty sure even if I hadn't I still would have noticed.

And just for funsies I typed into Google, what is michigan shaped like? The results brought up a Yahoo Answers page where someone had asked a similar question. Here's what "Buck" had to say about it: did you really think this was a hard question? any 8th grader could have answered this.

Apparently not, Buck.

4 comments:

Yo said...

i had NO idea about the mitten either... don't hate me!

NatAttack said...

What the what? People didn't know that? I've had cities pointed out on someone's hand more times than I can count. I can proudly say I DO know Michigan is a mitten.

Sarah said...

What is WRONG with these people? ;)

joe h. said...

i guess it's too late to ask if they knew the U.P. was shaped like a rabbit either