Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Elbow Grease

What I learned tonight:
The time and energy you save is totally worth whatever it costs to get your car washed by someone else.

No, really. It's unlikely I will ever wash my car by hand again.

My car has been covered in sap for two months. Okay, probably more like three or four. [I have to park on the street. And now I know why the spot under the jumbo tree is always available.] But I just haven't been able to muster up the motivation to figure out how to get rid of it.

Tonight was the night.

My roommate, TheNewKid, told me rubbing alcohol would do the trick. So off I went with my iPod, a bottle of rubbing alcohol and rag, ready to tackle the project I'd been procrastinating for so long.

Yeah, it was about as fun as you'd imagine it would be. The only thing that could have made it worse was if I had been on my hands and knees and scrubbing with a toothbrush was somehow involved. By the end I was so tired of it I was practically dumping the rubbing alcohol directly onto the car.

But it wasn't over. I still needed to wash it. I had already been out there for over an hour and it was getting dark so it's safe to say I just wasn't into it. 

The best part? The residue left by the rubbing alochol/sap combo isn't easily washed away. Awesome. I'm pretty sure the car looks worse than it did before.

Lesson learned.

2 comments:

Jase, Tate & Gav said...

That blows! I gave up on washing my car by hand a long time ago. I don't even like the kind where you have to hold a trigger and wash it. I miss ya Steph!

Collin said...

I feel the same way, Stephanie. I'd rather spend money than time on something tedious like that. When all is said and done, you can always get more money but not more time. Although, I may be a bad example because I just paid a guy to mow my lawn.